× Members

Walking pace

More
7 years 11 months ago #158611 by pysgota ci
Walking pace was created by pysgota ci
Does anyone know what constitutes a reasonable period (time) for walking a given distance for PIP mobility?

I vaguely recall having read that more than half the maximum pace for people without a disability does not equate to a reasonable period.

Douglas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158637 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Walking pace

pysgota ci wrote: Does anyone know what constitutes a reasonable period (time) for walking a given distance for PIP mobility?

I vaguely recall having read that more than half the maximum pace for people without a disability does not equate to a reasonable period.

Douglas

Claimants must be able to complete an activity in no more than twice the maximum time that a healthly person would to be considered as being able to complete it successfully.

I've seen two set of walking time being used. Speeds are broken down into three levels.

Normal - 90m or 72m per minute
Slow - 60m or 48m per minute
Very slow - 30m or 24m per minute

I would use the lower values if you can.

We also seen claimants asked how long they can walk for, using the above figures, someone who can walk for a minute even very slowly would still exceed the 20m limit for an Enhanced award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: pysgota ci

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.