× Members

PIP Initial Call & Mental Health Questions

More
7 years 10 months ago #160478 by Rowena
I have just received the dreaded letter from the DWP. I have been 'invited' to claim for PIP.

I was aware of the questions they would ask me after reading the guides on this site. However, I was surprised to be asked as to whether I had mental health issues, psychiatric issues, or depression. They didn't ask what my physical disability was so it made me wonder why they were singling out these disabilities. Or perhaps they were not, this may be a standard set of questions, but as I'm sure you know, we none of us trust the DWP.

I would be interested to hear from other parties as to whether this is happening to them, or is there a new rule on the horizon?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #160488 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP Initial Call & Mental Health Questions
Hi C,

This is a routine question. I think it is meant to try and assess whether the claimant should automatically be given extra time to complete the form.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rowena

More
7 years 10 months ago #160512 by nanny990
Replied by nanny990 on topic PIP Initial Call & Mental Health Questions
I was asked the same questions when I phoned Monday along with lots of others. Also had to give my name address & contact numbers (which I was struggling with due to poor memory) quite a few times during 30 min call. I was worn out by end of it!

More
7 years 10 months ago #160530 by nonsmoker2008
Replied by nonsmoker2008 on topic PIP Initial Call & Mental Health Questions
Yes, they asked me - actually my daughter, who was helping me call - about these things too. I was wondering if the guidance on here could actually be changed to reflect the actual question regarding depression as DWP say it is depression requiring hospitalisation, not just depression

More
7 years 10 months ago #160543 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Initial Call & Mental Health Questions

nonsmoker2008 wrote: Yes, they asked me - actually my daughter, who was helping me call - about these things too. I was wondering if the guidance on here could actually be changed to reflect the actual question regarding depression as DWP say it is depression requiring hospitalisation, not just depression

I'll mention it to the office, but not everybody is being asked this and the PIP1 that the DWP person is completing on you behalf makes no reference to hospitalisation in that section.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: nonsmoker2008

More
7 years 9 months ago #162041 by pg
I agree more warning of this telephone question would have been very helpful. It was not covered in the guidance and took my husband, who was calling on my behalf, by surprise. Rather than offering extra time for applications for those with mental health conditions, it seemed more a crude tickbox attempt at assessing risk of harm due to future benefit removal.

The person taking the DLA to PIP call wanted my husband to confirm that my online dwp records were correct in stating that I had never been hospitalised for depression. He replied, correctly, that I had in fact been hospitalised in my teens, a long time before DWP were involved and had had extensive community treatment for forty years since.There was no further question to clarify the circumstances of the hospitalisation. (a failed suicide attempt) and no offer to extend the time for the application.

Is this question being asked of all those with mental health conditions, or only women, who your website revealed a while back are now arbitrarily considered by DWP to pose less risk than men for harming themselves or others?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.