× Members

Carers Allowance

More
7 years 10 months ago #161480 by Patsy19
Carers Allowance was created by Patsy19
Hello there, I am currently on ESA in the support group and i am entitled to contributory ESA topped up with income related for my husband . I have just been awarded the standard rate of care in PIP so I presume my husband is now able to claim carers allowance. I have tried to do a benefit calculation and it said something about I would be 10 pounds better off on income support, I am now confused and the calculation doesnt break it down into what premiums i would get. Do you know how much i might be better off by if my husband claims carers allowance. I also receive 40 pounds a week in occupational pension. Thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #161493 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Carers Allowance
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Information regarding ESA premiums is in the link below

ESA Premiums

It is your husband who would be able to claim income support as he would be your carer. However, you will need to get face to face advice regarding which benefit would be best for you as we cannot go into financial details on the forum. Try a internet search for 'welfare advice' plus your postcode or town.

Are DWP aware of your occupational pension? It certainly needs to be taken into consideration for your income-related top-up, even though it is not enough to impact on your contributory benefit.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161526 by Patsy19
Replied by Patsy19 on topic Carers Allowance
Thankyou, yes they are aware of my pension details and this has been deducted from my award. I currently receive contributory based and income related ESA. I have been told by carers allowance that they notify ESA and then they adjust my benefit. If my husband claimed income support which premiums would be included e.g the disability premium? Thanks

More
7 years 10 months ago #161533 by Patsy19
Hello there, I now know that we would be better off if my husband claims income support. Not sure how I would end claim for esa (ir) and then start claim for income support

More
7 years 10 months ago #161549 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carers Allowance
P

Have you checked that he can claim Income Support in your area and not Universal Credit?

If you decide to go ahead;

Your husband needs to make a claim for Carers Allowance, it should be possible to backdate this to the date your PIP Daily Living was awarded.

Once this is accepted then he can make a claim for IS, this can be backdated to when the CA was accepted from.

Once the IS claim is made, you need to notify the DWP about the claim and ask for your ESA(IR) to be stopped in preference to the IS.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #161556 by Patsy19
Thankyou, the carers allowance have said that they inform dwp and I suspect that because of my pension income that we will no longer be entitled to income related esa anyway, will I still need to contact them, and will the income support continue exactly from when the ir esa ends. I am still entitled to contributory esa, thanks

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.