× Members

medical assessment for PIP review

More
7 years 10 months ago #162806 by Bev
I have my PIP medical assessment on Monday 11th July, this is a review assessment as I am in receipt of PIP enhanced care only. With the help of your guides and the time spent by my husband completing the forms, I am hoping that I will keep my level of care and hopefully get something for mobility. I have in the last two years got worse with my walking and got a blue badge from the local authority to help me attend appointments.
The assessment is in a building were there is no car park available for visitors there is double yellow lines everywhere and I have been advised that we can park outside on the left hand side only. I know that I will not be able to walk the distance from the car to the building so my husband is going to push me in the wheelchair.
I am worried that I will not get anything for mobility, I cannot plan a journey to places I do not know and my husband has had to walk out the route getting to the centre, also I find it hard walking around, I just hope they believe me. My husband has told me I need to be consistent in my answer but i am scared that I will get things wrong can my husband help me answer the questions?
They tricked me last time saying that i could plan a journey and tell the taxi driver were i needed to go, but i never said that and i did not want to appeal in case i lost more of the care component. I am really worried, we have checked what they can ask but still feel that they will trick me again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #162827 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic medical assessment for PIP review
Hi Bev,

The assessor will want you to answer the questions as much as possible. You husband should be allowed to interject if you are struggling but not take over completely.

Please reply to this message to let us know how you get on. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bev

More
7 years 10 months ago #163168 by Bev
Replied by Bev on topic medical assessment for PIP review
I went for medical assessment for my PIP yesterday and I feel it went really well. Having said that the centre was difficult to access. I went in my wheelchair as my scooter was not working. The HP noticed that it was a good wheelchair he asked where I got it from to which I replied NHS.

My husband came with me, the HP asked about my conditions, did a short examination and asked me to move around with my arms and legs which was painful but I did what I could. I made sure that he understood that I can not plan a journey and that my husband can not attend appointments I will cancel also that I only go out in the back garden to have a cigarette.

Things seemed to be going well then he asked me "so you only walk to your car?" and I answered "yes". My husband feels that they will hold this against me again and not give me the correct level of mobility.

Like I have said I do not have any mobility with PIP at the moment only enhanced care, my walking has got worse. My husband thinks they will look on Google Earth at were my house is and assume that I walk from the house to the car which is more than 50 meters away, but this is not the case I will get in my boot scooter drive to the car and get in or my husband will push my in my wheelchair.

We both feel that they tricked and my husband feels that he could not say anything as whenever he did he ignored him apart from when my husband gave him my new medication details.

I know it was only yesterday but I am dreading the outcome and hope that I do get the mobility that I need, if this is not the case should I appeal against the decision if they do say that I walk more than 50 metres to my car?

I am worried and hope that I have not blown it, I do have a blue badge which the local authority gave me without any further investigations.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #163189 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic medical assessment for PIP review
Hi Bev,

I'm sorry you don't feel that the assessment went well :( All you can do now is wait. We have heard from people who feel that the assessment was a disaster but go on to get the award they merit, so all is not lost.

If the decision is not what you think it should be, your first step towards challenging it would be to request a Mandatory Reconsideration. We will cross that bridge if/when we come to it!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 9 months ago #166129 by Bev
Replied by Bev on topic medical assessment for PIP review
Just got my decision back from the DWP, they have now given me standard rate care and mobility. I was not happy but when my husband has expanded and we have compared it to the first claim I made then it is an improvement on mobility as got nothing and on care I scored 15 last time and this time I have scored 8.
My only concern is that a lot of the descriptors mention that i need an aid or appliance, in the future will this mean I will not get paid money and just get vouchers? I do not understand as the money is used to help me pay now for treatment such as dentist as my husband works full time and i do not get tax credits as we have been overpaid for that and that is another debt we have to pay.
I am worried that I will be worse off if they do this, is this going to happen as most of my care points are for aid and appliances even though a lot of the time my husband has to help me do things.

Apart from that I am reasonably happy with the decision

More
7 years 9 months ago #166138 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic medical assessment for PIP review
Bev

I'm glad you are happy with your award.

The change to PIP payments in regard to aids was withdrawn and won't now happen.

GOrdon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris