× Members

Home Visit or Office Based Assessment

More
7 years 9 months ago #163355 by Jb
Hello, I have my reassessment coming up after sending in the ESA50 form. I sent in loads of medical evidence this time and had hoped this would prevent me from having the stress of an assessment after all i went through before (zero points,completely diff report to my answers and a wait of a year for the appeal tribunal). I suffer from severe depression, anxiety and agoraphobia and my question is whether it will go against me that i havent requested a home visit? After reading that you need a GP letter to state you cannot attend because of your problems, i knew there was no point, as my GP has never been very supportive regarding this illness, despite confirmation from a Psychiatrist and Psychology services etc. When I first became ill and asked for med certs, it was an extreme uphill battle and I was accused of it all just being financial.. This despite me going from a well paying job to benefits. I didnt think to ask the Mental Health services whether they could help instead regarding the letter requesting a home visit, or even if this might be acceptable? but I fear I'm out of time now..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #163372 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Home Visit or Office Based Assessment
Hi Jb,

You should give a little thought to explaining how you were able to attend the venue despite your problems. Other than that, I can't see it being a problem.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163393 by Jb
Replied by Jb on topic Home Visit or Office Based Assessment
Thank you. A friend of someone in my family is going to take me, as my local health team did not get back to me again and they are extremely hard to contact. Only, as I don't know this person myself very well, I don't really want them to be in the room with me, a party to everything, as I feel very ashamed and embarrassed at having to describe how my illness affects me day to day and the depths to which I've sunk. Would that be okay do you think for them to remain in the waiting area or car, instead of coming in the room and speaking for me? I'm thinking it will probably go against me and I feel I already made a v.bad job of filling in the form, despite the guide as I just felt so overwhelmed and confused, I couldn't think straight.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163395 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Home Visit or Office Based Assessment
JB

It's entirely up to you but if you have issues with Social Anxiety then you will likely be marked down if you see the assessor on your own, however, I can also understand not wanting someone you don't know well, to hear all of your problems, sometimes we can't even be honest about our problems with those that we are really close to.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 9 months ago #163401 by Jb
Replied by Jb on topic Home Visit or Office Based Assessment
Thankyou. Yes, that's certainly true regarding honesty with our problems but in my case those close ones are mostly not bothered anyway, hence the distant friend accompanying me instead, or they tell you to pick yourself up and stop being a victim. Which doesn't really help if you mostly feel suicidal and every day is a constant struggle. It's not like it's something you 'choose' for yourself but a lot of people don't understand. Anyway... thankyou for your help. May I just ask one more thing.. Am I able to request a change of sex in healthcare assessor on the day or would this need to be done in advance and with good reason, eg only on religious grounds?

More
7 years 9 months ago #163404 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Home Visit or Office Based Assessment
JB

Any request for a specific assessor needs to be made in advance with your reasons for doing so, you might want to make reference to the Equality Act in your request.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.