× Members

PIP ..... Finally

More
7 years 9 months ago #163773 by Arantha
PIP ..... Finally was created by Arantha
My 31 year old son received a text from the DWP this morning. His PIP has been awarded.

A few months ago we got the dreaded letter informing us that his indefinite DLA was going to be changed to PIP (as I'm sure most of you are aware - this started a chain of pretty horrid events)

My son has Mental Health issues - Paranoid schizophrenia, Bi-polar, manic depression and THE buzzword .... Borderline Personality Disorder.

He was on a high day when he went for his first interview and was bouncy and laughing and manic. Of course, the ATOL clerks are not trained in mental health issues so they threw his claim out. We appealed - (you should see the size of his medical file) and were turned down again. We insisted on a tribunal where I accompanied my son - The three "judges" (because that's what it felt like - and it was held at the County Court) told me I was not allowed to speak. They then continued to psychologically run rings around him, mis-interpreting his words, mis-reporting his answers and even telling him that borderline personality disorder could mean anything. They hadn't seen his medical file so they threw the case out.

My son instantly went into suicide mode and was prescribed tablets from his GP - only 5 at a time because they were so concerned. I decided to reapply for PIP for him.

We had his interview a couple of weeks ago. He was NOT a happy bunny. He pulled his hoodie over his head, wore his sunglasses and refused to speak to her. I explained why he was like that and I answered all her questions. I also reported how disgustingly he had been treated and that thank God he wasn't one of the dreadful statistics of suicide thanks to the DWP.
We refused the "Maths test" and I asked if she was actually serious giving out maths tests to people. What on earth was that going to prove. Apparently it was to gauge their concentration. So I told her in no uncertain terms that the test was degrading and could deem totally inaccurate results.

My advice? These people are NOT Gods - they are human beings. I told my son to be polite and respectful but recalling my own experiences with them, don't be frightened to challenge them. Tell them what your life is like on your worst days because if you even mention good days they just seem to focus on them.

I also think that maybe, the fact we reapplied might have made a difference, so don't accept defeat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163780 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP ..... Finally
I'm so glad that your son finally got the award he deserves! You deserve congratulations for your perseverance with this, it must have taken its toll on you too.

I understand why you made your comment about 'worst days' but must warn other members against reporting only the bad days as this potentially leaves them open to claims of fraud at a later stage :(

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arantha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.