× Members

PIP :reasonable adjustments letter ignored by atos

More
8 years 1 month ago #164513 by Me_too
Hi,
I have received an assessment appointment for a home visit within the next 10 days for a 9am appointment.

I have severe ME/CFS and clearly explained on PIP form, within evidence/documentation and on a separate letter (requesting reasonable adjustments under Eq Act 2010) that I am unable to make an appointment in the morning as my disability prevents me from waking up in the morning and being coherent enough to engage in conversation (never mind conversation which makes sense). I am unable to wake with an alarm, I wake naturally about 11-12, then take several hours for the fog to clear enough to be responsive.

ATOS has ignored this letter, and I'm sure the other one giving permission for a carer to call on my behalf (I get very confused on phone).

I'm in a dilemma, wether to call myself to change or to get carer to write a formal complaint, but my concern is letter will not be addresses received before assessment date.

Anyone else experienced this?
Should I put myself under stress to call to get it changed?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #164518 by Gordon
Me_too

Get you carer to call them the next time they are with you, that way you can authorise the call and they can deal with the details.

You can re-arrange the appointment once so make sure you have your diary with you when you make the call.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Me_too

More
8 years 1 month ago #164689 by Me_too
Thanks for the response.
Unfortunately I had to call up myself, as I needed to change the date asap.
I managed to get later appointment, but at the 'latest time possible' of 12.00 for a home visit.
This is better than the 9am, but still at a time whereby I am not awake/coherent enough to respond to questions asked of me. (This does concern me, but I will have a carer present who will have to explain the situation).

I didn't even ask for a home visit, I asked to attend the PIP centre in my home town, a drive of 5 mins away, at an appropriate afternoon time slot.

I was also told that the first appointment is 'computer generated' but I have to wonder as they've clearly read the form to decide that I need a home visit, but failed to read (on the same page) my time limitations !

Thanks for the advice, I will update will as much info as possible after the assessment to let others know what to expect.

More
8 years 1 month ago #165081 by Me_too
After thinking about this for a while I feel a complaint is needed in regards to ignoring my reasonable adjuste,not request, and forcing me into an appointment time where I will not be coherent enough to reposed accurately to the questions asked.

I have located an ATOS complaints address but I am having trouble locating a complaint address for the DWP.

Does anyone know the DWP snail-mail address to write a formal complaint to?

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #165098 by Gordon
Me_too

The DWP won't communicate with a claimant through email on specific matters only general ones.

Complaining to the DWP

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 1 month ago #165103 by Me_too
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for the prompt reply and link.
Are you able to clarify, as I think this is how I understand it....

I am unable to put in a formal request under the equalities act 2010 to DWP for reasonable adjustments and/or make a formal complaint about a 3rd party of theirs failing to adhere to the Equalities Act 2010?

Seems unreal, in a normal world, but in the world of benefits, Sounds about right.

Thanks
Me_too

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.