× Members

CB ESA Awarded - EXTRA IR BENEFIT too?

More
7 years 8 months ago #165124 by Star jacks
CB ESA Awarded - EXTRA IR BENEFIT too? was created by Star jacks
Hi ive just had the brilliant news of being awarded ESA (CB) and been put straight in the support group without an assesment/medical after 4 months of waiting. Cant believe it after i had such an ordeal with PIP in Feb but thankfully with a successful outcome in the end.

My question is that they havent said how long it is for and they also said that i could be eligible for IR ESA too. Im bit confused by this as i dont really know the difference apart from that i pay NI and had been on Incapacity Benefit from quite a few yrs ago.
I am single and live on my own with low savings.

How do i find out about how long i have this for and about the other ESA? Would i have to fill out another form and have an assessment?

Sorry for the ramble im still in shock over my positive result lol!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #165140 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic CB ESA Awarded - EXTRA IR BENEFIT too?
Hi Starjacks, that is great news! Thanks for letting us know :)

Contributory ESA is always paid in preference to income-related if the claimant has paid enough NI. This is not limited by the income or assets of the claimant.

If the claimant (plus any partner who they live with) has low income, and assets below £16000, it is possible that they will qualify for an extra amount on top of the contributory benefit. If you are entitled to this, you might get an extra amount as you are also on PIP :)

If you think this might apply to you (and your partner - if you have one - works less than 24 hours per week) you should ask DWP to send you an ESA3 form. This will capture details of your financial situation, you would not be subjected to another medical questionnaire/assessment as a result.

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

If you are in receipt of even 1p income-related ESA you will automatically qualify for other benefits, such as free prescriptions.

You can find out when to expect reassessment - although this is only advisory - by contacting DWP and asking for your 'prognosis' which will be on the computer records. Such a call will not trigger an early reassessment or any other such problem.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Star jacks

More
7 years 8 months ago #165159 by Star jacks
Replied by Star jacks on topic CB ESA Awarded - EXTRA IR BENEFIT too?
Thank you so much for this advice its really helpful. I will do this and see what happens!
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.