× Members

Means-tested benefits... oh dear!

More
7 years 8 months ago #165926 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Means-tested benefits... oh dear!
Richard

This has been the rule for years, perhaps decades, as a result I can't point you at the legislation where this is defined.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #166014 by Richard G
Replied by Richard G on topic Means-tested benefits... oh dear!
This is so bizarre - I couldn't have made it up!

I wouldn't mind so much, but nobody at the DWP has explained any of this to me. As far as they're concerned they seem to think I've committed an offence by doing something that everyone else is allowed to do, except sick and disabled people of working age. It's not so surprising now that my requests for a written explanation have fallen upon deaf ears.

More
7 years 8 months ago #166048 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Means-tested benefits... oh dear!
This would apply to anyone on income-related benefits, including JSA and income support, it is not aimed only at the sick and disabled.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #166057 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic Means-tested benefits... oh dear!
Also to note.
If you are on ESA CB and PIP and you require a stairlift/beds or a reconstruct of your property etc etc,if you own it you are not eligible for state help if you have any savings and or have a partner/ spouse who is working full time.
The £40.000 cap on what one can spend on a property for disabled use is not provided if you have savings and or a spouse who works full time.
In fact there is no financial help for any thing the Occ Health suggest you have in place or do to your own property if you have savings and or a partner or spouse in full time occupation.

However if you rent a property or are in a housing assoc property or on IR with a spouse/partner that works, you are eligible for financial help.

So as you so rightly said, being prudent with money is not helpful with the way the system operates.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.