× Members

New ESA Claim.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165617 by Cencen12
New ESA Claim. was created by Cencen12
Hi all,

I'm making a new ESA claim am I better to do it over the phone or fill the form in.
I'm so confused with everything. I've never claimed before and very read your guide but I'm still confused.
Sorry if I sound thick.
At present I walk with a stick and can only managed a short distance. I suffer with short term memory problems and can on time forget what I'm saying mid way through a sentence.
I have muscle weakness and bone pain. I'm waiting to go and see a consultant.
I just feel as though I'm about to start climbing the most enormous mountain

Thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165639 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New ESA Claim.
Welshlady

Make the claim over the phone should result in your ESA payments being available earlier but the form can take the best part of an hour to complete, so can you manage this without problem.

Completing the form means that you can do it at your own pace and make sure that you have all of the information you need to do so, available.

A good compromise would be for you to complete the form and then make the claim over the phone as this should make it quicker.

Whilst the claim normally start from when the DWP have a completed ESA1 form, if you have a suitable Fit Note you can back date the claim by up to 3 months, this would take account of the extra time it might take you to fill in the form.

If you have more questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #165642 by Rh
Replied by Rh on topic New ESA Claim.
I claimed ESA on the phone , call lasted approx 45mins.

So if you forget things Gordon is correct to say write everything down first.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165644 by Cencen12
Replied by Cencen12 on topic New ESA Claim.
Thank you Gordon.

Just one question do I start to make the claim after my work leaving date or can I start the process before .

Many thanks

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #165648 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New ESA Claim.

Welshlady1212 wrote: Thank you Gordon.

Just one question do I start to make the claim after my work leaving date or can I start the process before .

Many thanks

It depends on your circumstances, but the key dates are when you were certified as Unfit for Work and when any SSP ceased.

You cannot claim ESA and receive SSP so the claim cannot be started earlier than the day after which your SSP ceased.

If you believe that you are entitled to Contribution Based ESA which will be dependant on you having paid National Insurance in the Tax Years 2013-14 and 2014015, then it will either be the day after your SSP ended, or if you did not receive SSP then the date can be back dated to when you went sick up to a maximum of three months.

If you are not entitled to Contribution Based ESA then it will depend on when you were last paid and how much, but again the SSP or three months is the limiting factor.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165649 by Cencen12
Replied by Cencen12 on topic New ESA Claim.
I'm am leaving my job due to ill health. I'm currently on SSP. So I take it that my last day of work would be my last day on SSP???

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.