× Members

completing first pip form from dla

More
7 years 8 months ago #165860 by Merlin1
completing first pip form from dla was created by Merlin1
hi
i am completing this for my 16 year old son who has aspergers. form is very difficult to complete as mostly physical things.
when i am completing the other info bits do i write what the descriptor i think he fits into? i have your copies with details of them and points awarded , but do i write these actual things on my form?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165879 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic completing first pip form from dla
Hello Merlin

I think the ideal way to deal with the form is to read it through thoroughly and look at which descriptors apply to your son. Make a list of these and then go through the guides and see what they suggest is the best approach to explaining his condition.

The most important thing is NOT to just tick the yes/no/it varies boxes and instead explain fully why he can/can't do certain things. Aspergers is not something that fits neatly into any particular box, and every individual who has the syndrome will have different reactions/responses.

You need to gather together all his medical records, any supportive evidence from any medical professional he has had dealings with; if you have help from friends/members of your family then ask them to provide a short written statement supporting what you say in your application. If you have a good relationship with your GP, ask if he will write a letter in support of your son's application.

If you find there is not enough space on the form to explain fully how your son's problems affect him, then write out fully on an extra sheet/s of paper, remembering to put his name, national insurance number and the number of each page (1 of 1 or 1 of 2 etc, depending on the number of pages you add on) It might be wise to staple the additional pages to the form to make sure they don't get lost.

If you find you still have problems filling in the form, please get back to us. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maggie, Merlin1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.