× Members

Pip assessment on wed advice please

More
7 years 8 months ago #165894 by nicola
Pip assessment on wed advice please was created by nicola
I have my pip assessment review on wed and I'm all panicky about it :(

Basically I'm 27 and I suffer from mixed connective tissue disease (lupus & Sjögren's syndrome) fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and I have a arythmia and prolapsed/dehydrated discs in my back which is excruciating.

I am currently on steroids have been for a year and half because my kidneys keep failing without them I had to have rituximab March 2015 with the steroids to help with my kidneys they were so bad this resulted in me going into liver failure as the chemo just didn't agree with me although my liver started to recover by itself I was obviously very poorly so my first assessment was a home one I was in my pjs in a reclined chair as this is the only way I can get any comfort.

I was successful however my review is at a assessment centre and I have heard they are judgemental on what you wear to the assessment?

I do have a wheelchair (not a self propelled one) as my joints don't allow for this I try not to use it as I feel completely embarrassed in it because everyone tends to stare at me and makes my anxiety even worse will this go against me if I try to walk with the help of my mum?

I'm currently on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine but the methotrexate is making me very poorly the rhuematology dep is considering taking me off it and trying something new because of this meaning I'm stuck with the steroids which give me swollen painful feet.

But despite the amount of pain I'm in I'm limited to tramadol and gabapentin at a controlled dose simply because my kidneys can't take anything more than this and anything stronger otherwise they will just go into failure for a 3rd time will the assessor understand this?

I worried they will just see me as a young female with not much wrong as all my illness is completely invisible

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165935 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip assessment on wed advice please
nicola

Is this a new claim for PIP or are you currently receiving DLA?

The PIP Claim guide has a section towards the back that covers the assessment and the question that you are likely to be asked.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

The first half of the assessment is fairly standard and is covered in the guide, the second half revolves around you problems with the PIP activities and is your opportunity to explain why you should score the points needed for an award. So familiarise yourself with what you have written on your PIP2 and the criteria for each activity and think about how you can explain your problems to the assessor.

If you have any questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Best of luck for the assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.