× Members

Benefits and inheritance

More
7 years 8 months ago #166265 by C C
Benefits and inheritance was created by C C
Hi, I am currently on dla and esa. The question I have is that my parents are selling up their overseas property to give cash to me and my siblings. Can they give me lets say 40k to use as a cash purchase for a property in the UK, without this gift affecting my benefit entitlement.

I have 1 other question in that I have a apartment in the EU in mine and my brothers name although we do not rent it out and get income. If I were to sell the flat though I do not intend on receieving the proceeds personally in my own account, am I entitled to continue receiveing benefits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #166274 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Benefits and inheritance

C C wrote: Hi, I am currently on dla and esa. The question I have is that my parents are selling up their overseas property to give cash to me and my siblings. Can they give me lets say 40k to use as a cash purchase for a property in the UK, without this gift affecting my benefit entitlement.

I have 1 other question in that I have a apartment in the EU in mine and my brothers name although we do not rent it out and get income. If I were to sell the flat though I do not intend on receieving the proceeds personally in my own account, am I entitled to continue receiveing benefits.

I'm sorry but we cannot give detailed financial advice on the forum, you need to get face to face advice before making any decision about what you do, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

The primary issue will be whether you are receiving Income Related ESA or not, if you are then there are potential issues of capital and income that could remove your entitlement to payment.

If you are receiving only Contribution Based ESA then it should not be an issue but I would still get advice.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.