× Members

Esa reaching

More
7 years 8 months ago #167612 by Dpn
Esa reaching was created by Dpn
Reaching/picking up and moving. When I originally filled this in I did not consider doing this repeatedly and ticked none of the above. I do have problems with reaching and transferring. An example would be emptying cups glasses from dishwasher. The repetitive movement causes pain in the centre/bottom of spine. It also worsens pins and needles in my right arm and hand. I will stop activity as i get fuzzy feeling in hand and cAn't feel the cup. Also hanging out washing, i need to hold the line for balance, and again reaching up causes pain in middle/bottom of spine. Pain in right arm/hand and pins and needles. I am not sure how toequate this to discriptor.

I am very grateful for all your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167622 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa reaching

Dpn wrote: Reaching/picking up and moving. When I originally filled this in I did not consider doing this repeatedly and ticked none of the above. I do have problems with reaching and transferring. An example would be emptying cups glasses from dishwasher. The repetitive movement causes pain in the centre/bottom of spine. It also worsens pins and needles in my right arm and hand. I will stop activity as i get fuzzy feeling in hand and cAn't feel the cup. Also hanging out washing, i need to hold the line for balance, and again reaching up causes pain in middle/bottom of spine. Pain in right arm/hand and pins and needles. I am not sure how toequate this to discriptor.

I am very grateful for all your help.

The reaching test is primarily about capability rather than why the movement is being done, so I am not sure that the examples you use would necessarily be taken into account. Although the DWP often use the example of stacking shelves for this activity the Descriptors only require the claimant be able to perform the action not to do it while carrying/lifting something.

Have a look at the ESA Claim guide, you will see that all of the movements are upwards, so your example of emptying a dishwasher is particularly weak as you will likely be bending over as well. Also, there is no need for you to be standing when making the movements, so additional issues that you might have such as problems with balance may also be disregarded.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dpn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.