× Members

PIP face to face assesment

More
7 years 7 months ago #167988 by limited
PIP face to face assesment was created by limited
I have an face to face assessment for pip coMing up. It's making me worse making me severely stressed and suicidal. I have dyslexia, some mental illnesses including severe anxiety, chronic fatigue and lumber back pain from degenerative disc disease amongst other things, I do have some mobility problems, I live alone in a small ground floor flat . I was a sceduled for Watford centre but then atos automatically changed it to home, prob because of info from GP . I'm unsure whether to stick to this home appointment, I'm worried about home surroundings gowing against me like having a cat and plants on back patio etc, but I'm also worried if I make it to assessment centre they will say there is nothing nothing wrong with my walking. I still can't come to a decision.(I've already changed appointment once so prob can't change it again without good reason but advocate unavailability may apply) I was wondering on other people's thoughts please as to whether at home or at assessment centre, what is best?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168027 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP face to face assesment
Janet

By offering a home assessment the Assessment Provider is recognising that you would have significant problems attending at their offices, obviously only you can balance the potential issues you mention about them assuming what you can do at home, but It strikes me that there are far more serious assumptions about your capabilities that could be made if you attend at their offices.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: limited

More
7 years 7 months ago #168097 by ploppy
Replied by ploppy on topic PIP face to face assesment
I had less than 24hrs notice. They rang me to say they were coming the next morning. I was so shocked I couldn't even start to think what to think!
So I did nothing.
I also have a cat & didn't know what to do with her. I have no aids except a couple of walking sticks & a pick up grabber.
I too have degenerative spine disease so I really do understand.
He arrived in the morning. My carer was here then but she continued with her chores. The cat walked in halfway & I lay there & called her over for a stroke. I lay on the settee all the time as I can't sit for long as its to painful. The place was tidy, I have a garden and plants on the patio too but my carer waters them & does my garden.
He asked about my medication, who prepares my food, shopping, and getting out. I told him my carer does everything, aids I tried years ago & they were useless to my as no strength in my arms from my spine twisting. I never tried to converse with him, infact I only spoke to answer his questions & gave examples to help him understand to problems I suffer walking only a few steps and having to grab a worktop or something to support me or I'd fall. A walking stick cannot support my back.
As he was typing it went so quiet a couple of times I felt myself drifting off to sleep lol.
It was very, very hot too & all the windows were open but I was boiling & very breathless, he could clearly see that.
He never asked my to do anything, wasn't here long & left.
Having someone help you like a carer I think helps a lot, I could not manage without mine for sure.
I did get the enhanced rate on both components, I didn't care that morning he came what happened, I gone past that stage, I like you already decided I'd fail having no aids or disability things to make the house look 'disabled friendly'.
I do have grab rails in the loo, shower & outside but thats it.
Every assessors different, another one may have failed me, there's no telling. I got a decent one, I didn't exaggerate anything or go into big stories but did try slowly to give brief examples. He asked how do I get out the house. I said I rarely do except the doctors & that's rare they come to me. But if I do I'm already worn out just getting to the front door so lean on the bannister for a few mins. Then I step outside & lean on the rails for a min then slowly get to the bins, By then I'm in agony so just lean on them for a while till I can move to the next point,, normally my car or the ambulance. I always have my carer with me unless it's the ambulance transport. I expect you have help in some form, I have no family as such so my carer is my lifeline and the cat of course, I wouldn't be without her.

I wish you luck.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168169 by limited
Replied by limited on topic PIP face to face assesment
Thanks, legislation states they need to give 7 days notice, unless you've agreed to a shorter period, but that 7 days may be from when they write the letter, not from when you get it.I don't know. I don't have a carer but friend does a lot. I've heard if you look after a cat, then you can look after yourself. I've heard they scrutinise your
Home surroundings. My chronic fatigue and severe anxiety and dyslexia means I can't express my self properly nor remember what to say

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #168175 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP face to face assesment
The assessor has no more right to look around your house than any other guest. Nor have we heard of anyone asking to do so.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168190 by ploppy
Replied by ploppy on topic PIP face to face assesment
They rang me out the blue to say they had a cancellation the next morning, I was actually glad after the shock rather than waiting & waiting & getting stressed for the letter.
I even offered tea/ coffee but did say my carer would make. I couldn't have made it & carried it in, but he declined.
The cat has a cat flap so can come & go & she jumps up onto the worktop on her half to eat, as no way can I bend to put her food down. Apart from feeding her, not much more to do but talk & stroke her. When she walked in he was typing but I said 'hello little girl' & she came over for a stroke. He looked up & at her, smiled & carried on typing. Didn't ask anything about her.
I did offer him to look at the rails I had & look around on his own if he wanted, but he had no interest in the house or garden.
I was in a lot of pain too when he arrived as had been trying to wash etc with my carer just before he arrived. It left me in agony & he could see I was in pain.
I didn't say anything, just lay there with the tv on low & let him ask & I slowly answered him. Its really the only time I spoke.
He talked a lot about my medication too. I said the pain killer are useless. I said I often go very dizzy especially when I get up at times. He asked if it was side effects from the pills. I said I haven't got a clue, might be. I do online shopping & my carer puts it all away. I like to buy cold things like salads already made up, cooked pasta cold, even sandwiches,pork pies, potato salads etc as cooking is out the question, opening packets is a bit easier & not much work involved.
I had submitted a few sheets to them with the form about how my disability affects me in a lot of detail, even the smallest things I put down. I felt there was nothing left to say to him as he said he had read it all. So I wasn't going to start repeating myself & get on his nerves plus I didn't have the puff or energy.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.