× Members

ESA and selling my home

More
7 years 7 months ago #168265 by Victoria
ESA and selling my home was created by Victoria
I don't know if anyone can help on this issue but here goes.
I want to sell my flat as I find communal living difficult and anxiety provoking.
If I sell my property and can't find a new property at that time for myself and have to rent how will this affect my ESA.
Also if I put the cash from the sale in a building society would work and pensions make me use that to pay rent?

Thanks guys

Victoria

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #168274 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA and selling my home
Hi Victoria,

If you are in receipt of contributory ESA then it will not matter how much money you have in your bank.

If you are on income-related ESA then you will have to notify DWP once your property is sold. This money is usually disregarded for at least 6 months if it is your intention to use it to buy another home - but DWP must still be informed.

If you are on income-related benefit, I suggest that you get face2frace advice as you would be able to discuss the details of your personal affairs, just in case there is anything that changes the situation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Victoria

More
7 years 7 months ago #168374 by Victoria
Replied by Victoria on topic ESA and selling my home
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.
Where would we be without you guys ☺
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.