× Members

Should I claim ESA for my son?

More
7 years 7 months ago #168560 by gentleorange
Should I claim ESA for my son? was created by gentleorange
Hi. Because of my son's issues we are currently reliant on benefits. I claim Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, plus his PIP and CA. He attends a special educational program for teens with autism and will get Child Benefit until he turns 20, which will be in late January.

My two questions off the bat are a) Is it possible we could end up with less money coming in if he gets ESA? I know that once CB stops, CA gets absorbed into Income Support which is a loss to start with. I read that ESA can negatively affect Income Support, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. If we'll be worse off, I'd rather not put him through another assessment. The one for PIP affected him badly.

And b) When could I apply, if I do? Do I have to wait until his Child Benefit stops before I can begin to claim, or can I have it ready to go for the date it stops, or could I even send it in before it stops? :huh:

Thank you for reading! And advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168606 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Should I claim ESA for my son?
gentleorange

I'm afraid we cannot give financial advice on the forum, I recommend that you get face to face advice from a trained advisor who can work out what income you both will receive when his CB stops.

He can claim ESA at any time but it will not be processed until the CB is stopped., so you can either wait until the CB stops anyway or make a claim for CB and stop the CB.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.