× Members

Anyone had HELP from MP ?

More
7 years 5 months ago #172556 by Chris77
Anyone had HELP from MP ? was created by Chris77
Just curious as to whether anyone has had help from MP, refused help or was help to you ? I am interested to hear from anyone who has contacted their MP.

The reason is I listened to the Commons yesterday and someone asked Damien Green whether they thought the new film I Daniel Blake was a true reflection of what claimants are having to go through. Apparently he then offered to look into a case brought up by another MP. Saw the clip on youtube and it made me wonder whether some of these MPs really understand how hard it is for us to go through the claims process. Also its making me more ill as am sure it is for a lot of you.

Am hoping the Ken Loach Film will make a difference in highlighting what all of us on here are having to deal with everyday through no fault of our own.

Warning the Film is very emotional and if your claim is not sorted out, it could be very depressing to watch, best to watch the trailer on youtube as all of us on here know how bad it is because each one of us has an individual story to tell. Its just coming out in the cinema and has already won film awards.

Could I also ask Gordon whether MPs are generally likely to look at cases and can they exert any pressure on the DWP to speed things up.

My case an appeal has just ben lodged but I want to try and apply as much pressure to the DWP to award me what I am entitled to before it goes to appeal as they cannot possibly win anyway, have already had legal opinion.

Thank you All and look forward to hearing anyones interaction with their MP or anyone at House of Commons.

THANK YOU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #172588 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Anyone had HELP from MP ?
Cipolar

It is part of an MP's "job description" to provide assistance to constituents when they are dealing with local and central government organisations, this should not be effected by party allegiances.

MP's can provide a wide range of assistance but they cannot interfere in a legal process, so they can be helpful in progressing matters where they are stuck on someone's desk but cannot, for example; influence the Decision that the DWP might make.

Feedback from the forum is that on the whole MPs are supportive although there have been exceptions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 5 months ago #172633 by f c
Replied by f c on topic Anyone had HELP from MP ?
Hi we sent my husbands forms back a couple of weeks ago, not heard anything yet, but we did put in it a letter of support from our MP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris77

More
7 years 5 months ago #172641 by Chris77
Replied by Chris77 on topic Anyone had HELP from MP ?
Gordon, Thank you for detailing the duties of an MP as I really did not know that.
Since I started this post, another MP from the opposition who I only emailed yesterday as I heard him in the commons talking about the Daniel Blake film highlighting the Fight the disabled claimant has to get their benefits. Then TODAY at question time the Daniel Blake film was raised AGAIN and it appears that this film written by Ken Loach, who made Kathy Come Home may
be a catalyst into sharing the plight of all of us on this site who all have their own different stories to tell of how hard it is for us and thank goodness for this site as I would not have known where to start.

The MP did tell me I should never the less contact my local MP despite her voting for all the benefit cuts, so the fact you have mentioned it is their duty to represent us and not stick to partisan lines.

Because of this site and suddenly news coverage is exploding on how disabled people are been treated to claim benefits, it appears the film is extremely accurate. I am hoping this is a turning point as the film is only just going out in cinemas. Searching Youtube for the film and Ken Loach may help some people on this site who are maybe worrying about appealing should try not to worry and follow the guides on here which outline when to appeal as the majority of people with medical evidence that fits into the prescriptors to get the points are winning their appeals.

I also understand there is a 28 day window that allows the DWP should they choose to make an award in writing and then this stops the appeal. In my case I have sent in even more medical evidence with the APPEAL documents so if they want to keep their figures down, they can change their mind. HERES HOPING, at least I have given them a way out, but do not know of others have experienced this, if anyone has received the full award and its stopped the Appeal going ahead, please reply to the post as am interested to know.

Thankyou Gordon and to anyone letting me know about contacting their MPs.

More
7 years 5 months ago #172659 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Anyone had HELP from MP ?
Cipolar

The DWP can revise a Decision in favour of the claimant (see below), at any time up to and including the day of an appeal hearing, most often they will do so in the week before the hearing.

Revisions only have to provide a more favourable Decision for the claimant, they do not have to meet the award that the claimant has appealed for. As an extreme example; if no award of PIP was made and the claimant appealed on the basis that they should receive the Enhanced rate for both components then the DWP only have to offer a Standard award of one of the components to allow them to lapse (cancel) the appeal. This new Decision however does carry it's own right of appeal but it would be a case of the claimant starting from scratch.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 5 months ago #172688 by Chris77
Replied by Chris77 on topic Anyone had HELP from MP ?
WOW

Thank You for that reply Gordon. The WOW is because I was quite shocked by the reality of the Revesions system and was not aware of how they only have to change part of the decision.

This is very useful information and appreciate you detailing it as i feel LESS anxious understanding the procedure rather than worrying about uncertainty.

My evidence for appeal is now overwhelming so am covered 5000%
However my health is suffering because of the process and I am writing to the DWP today to give them notice that I have appealed and that by not resolving the matter when they have overwhelming evidence.

If I only got low mobility for my mental health if they revise it before appeal, I can start the appeal on that. I also assume that I would get the money for the new award until I go to appeal. Although I would risk loosing the award, because have overwhelming evidence to prove my case and have legal opinion. feel I would carry on to the bitter end until I get what I have told I am legally entitled to which is high of both. When they did the MR they gave me the low rate for disability, which is strange as its the cheapest one to pay out at £22 a week.

Glad I am now aware of this Gordon. Certainly any extra money would help during the period of a 2nd appeal if they revise any part. I take it any revisions will be back dated to the start of my PIPS that does not cross over with DLA ?

Because my mental health has suffered as a direct result of a long drawn out process. The fact that a psychiatrist put in writing to the DWP that delays in not dealing with the claim properly and looking at medical evidence are likely to bring on another mental health crisis. So they were warned. When I write to the tribunal to send in further evidence I want to make them aware that any delay caused by the DWP will lead to my mental health deteirating. Not sure why months of anguish and uncertainty which could lead to premature death due to heart disease, I have to avoid stress at all times, can be avoided by them changing the decision so does not need a tribunal.

When you told me about the MPs duties, maybe I could go in on this tack that I am writing to seek help to get the case looked at again, before it goes away in a pile for a tribunal when to could be looked at again and avoid a worsening of my health. Does this sound the best tactic as the help to ask for from my MP ?

Thank You for your help

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.