× Members

ESA 50 Form

More
7 years 9 months ago #176385 by smilewithjane
ESA 50 Form was created by smilewithjane
Hi
I am a new member having followed the newsletter for sometime. I have just been sent a ESA 50 form having been in the Support Group for 2 years.
I am struggling to answer the Physical Capability question. I walk my dogs around the village once a day with my carer. This is quite a distance but I need to take Liquid Morphinr on top of regular Morphine as it causes me intense pain to walk. I also need help to step up and down curbs safely. I walk because it is good for my severe mental health difficulties and because I have Fibromyalgia, I would seize up if I didnt force myself to move despite the pain.
I currently get high rate mobility and have a hand controlled car because I have nerve impairment in my legs and feet.

What concerns me about the question is that whilst I think I meet the criteria for the full 15 points because of pain and fatigue etc, how to be honest about the distance I can walk without risking losing my car when I am migrated to PIP?

Any help woiuld be very gratefully received.

Jane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #176430 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA 50 Form
Janeinpain

You are not required to walk without pain, but any "significant discomfort or breathlessness" that limits the distance you can walk, should be taken into account. It is unclear from your post that this is the case.

However, ESA is not a walking test, it is a Mobility test! In addition to your walking it considers your ability to self-propel a manual wheelchair over the same distances, you do not need to be using a wheelchair or even to own one for it to be considered. SO even if you can show your walking is restricted, unless you can also show that you cannot self-propel the wheelchair you will still not score points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.