× Members

DLA to PIP query

More
7 years 3 months ago #184724 by TheDayToday
Replied by TheDayToday on topic DLA to PIP query
Good advice - chased report with provider.

Two days later it's now with DWP decision maker I'm now awaiting a copy.

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #185479 by TheDayToday
Had my PIP result (verbally.. awaiting letter) I was scored 0 points for communication problems. I have autism - the first part of my diagnosis refers explicitly to communication problems. I presume therefore I should challenge this.

I believe I can speak to the person who handles my case and talk about the basis for how the points have being awarded. Are points ever adjusted at this stage or does it necessarily go on to the reconsideration?

Regarding mobility, aside from some other physical issues, I have spontaneous and unpredictable bouts of sickness likely caused by sensory issues relating to autism. This causes physiological symptoms, laboured breathing, photosensitivity, inability to speak normally, nausea, retching, vomiting. I experience it most days at some point. When this happens I am struggling to walk and occasionally immobilized. Is there any reason why this would not be considered a mobility issue?

More
7 years 3 months ago #185485 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP query
TheDayToday

If a Decision has been made then the DWP will not re-visit it without your requesting an MR.

As to the Mobility issues, as your problems are physical I think it unlikely that you would score points for the Going Out Activity, as to Moving Around, this is all about the distance you can walk.

From what you have said in your post, this would appear to down to what you have said in regard to "reliably" and "on the majority of days".

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDayToday

More
7 years 3 months ago #185497 by TheDayToday

Gordon wrote: TheDayToday

If a Decision has been made then the DWP will not re-visit it without your requesting an MR.

As to the Mobility issues, as your problems are physical I think it unlikely that you would score points for the Going Out Activity, as to Moving Around, this is all about the distance you can walk.

From what you have said in your post, this would appear to down to what you have said in regard to "reliably" and "on the majority of days".

Gordon

I said on my PIP2 I can't walk any distance reliably and repeatedly in a normal manner, because of the above problems and explained during assessment. I go out despite this, but that doesn't mean I'm well. I scored 0 points on this.

Going Out Activity does apply too btw.. I was just trying to simplify my question my health problems are sadly complex. :S

Shame they won't reason with people - ie have a conversation about how your problems affect you - they did this back in the days of Incapacity Benefit.

Thx.

More
7 years 2 months ago #185801 by TheDayToday
Sorry so many questions.. :blink:

Please redact any bits in bold as necessary I'm making a copy of what I'm writing here

I have the DWP report now, I scored 0 for communicating and reading "You can express and understand verbal information unaided".

The decision notes There is no evidence of significant cognitive impairment. Good history adequate memory and concentration. You were able to answer all questions appropriately speech was normal no hearing loss.

However I'm diagnosed autistic and from the DSM 5 ASD diagnostic criteria : "Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts"... At the lowest severity level (ASD1) "Without supports in place, deficits in social communication cause noticeable impairments."

I indicated on PIP2 and in assessment that I get assistance from others to help me interpret and manage communications. I presumed that these would apply :

c. Needs communication support to be able to express or understand complex verbal information. 4 points.

c. Needs prompting to be able to read or understand complex written information. 2 points

Does my diagnosis not count for anything here? I don't know whether their decision is acceptable or not. It doesn't make sense to me.

Regarding mobility I scored 0 points. Decision :

"Nausea and vomiting symtoms appear due to be due to anxiety and autism which are not covered by this activity."

I'm confused by this because
A> the cause of my sickness episodes hasn't been confirmed by any doctor or consultant. It might relate to autism it might not it's still undergoing investigation. I feel like they are diagnosing me here which doesn't seem right.
B> It's the physical symptoms which prevent me from walking any distance..

I don't know if their decision is wihtin acceptable bounds or should be contested. I'm afraid my autism doesn't help here. Can you help me decide please I don't know whether I should challenge these points or does being awarded lower daily living needs seem appropriate.

Thx...

More
7 years 2 months ago #185843 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP query
TheDayToday

With regard to communication, I think you have misinterpreted the Descriptors to use.

Communicating is about the physical act of talking. Obvious examples of claimants who would meet this criteria are people who are deaf and/or mute.

Where you refer to the ASD diagnostic criteria, I would expect this to be in relation to the Mixing With Other People activity rather then Communicating!

For the Mobility, the activities are split into cognitive, mental health and sensory issues for the Going Out activity and physical problems, which would include nausea and vomiting, which come under Moving Around.

From your post it looks like you have tried to use your physical problems for the Going Out activity.

Neither of these things means that you cannot contest the Decision, but I think you need to go back to the Claim guide to see if you can realistically score the points you need.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDayToday

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.