× Members

Income Based ESA and Home As Capital

More
7 years 2 months ago #180034 by Bemused
Income Based ESA and Home As Capital was created by Bemused
I currently claim Contribution Based ESA support group.
In June 2016 I was sent out forms for Income based due to entitlement to Severe disability allowance after receiving high care PIP.

My claim was recently turned down due to capital in half ownership of a house with my husband who I haven't lived with for 14 years although we are the best of friends and see each other every day.

I have been living with my son who has medical issues and cannot live alone. He receives DLA high care and low mobility.

I have asked for a MC regarding this and the decision maker still maintains the house should still be considered as capital even though my husband is over pension credit age (though he doesn't claim it and also claims industrial industries.

I have read on the the DWP site that if a relative who is over pension credit age and has a disability the 2nd property can be disregarded?

The MC decision maker agrees this is a point and has forwarded the matter for legal consideration before he makes his decision as he feels he cannot make a decision on this.
However, I feel that he is going to disallow it.

Can anyone please advise or has anyone had a similar experience?
Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #180051 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Income Based ESA and Home As Capital
Bemused

I'm sorry but this is not an area of benefits that we support on the forum. You need to get face to face advice from a trained advisor, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 2 months ago #180071 by Bemused
Replied by Bemused on topic Income Based ESA and Home As Capital
Thanks for the reply Gordon.

I had hoped that perhaps someone out there may have had a similar experience.

I have contacted Citizens Advice and others but as this is a unique situation no one seems to have any answers including the ESA decision makers.

Thanks Again!

More
7 years 2 months ago #180073 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Income Based ESA and Home As Capital

Bemused wrote: Thanks for the reply Gordon.

I had hoped that perhaps someone out there may have had a similar experience.

I have contacted Citizens Advice and others but as this is a unique situation no one seems to have any answers including the ESA decision makers.

Thanks Again!

The relevant section of the Decision makers guide appears to be paragraph 52433 and following

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/upl...e/470890/dmgch52.pdf

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.