× Members

Cont ESA & £85 per week

More
7 years 3 months ago #181161 by Rossi1999
Cont ESA & £85 per week was created by Rossi1999
1.I have Contribution ESA. I know I can take the tax free sum from this without affecting my ESA. Regarding the other, I believe that with Contribution ESA, I can take £85 per week without it being affected. (Can you please confirm I a right on this)..I originally thought I could have as much as I like put into my savings.
2. If I took a payment from my pension of £4220 which is equivalent to £85 PW, would this be OK?
The £4220 would be on top of the tax free sum. I can't see any problems with taking the £85 per week in one go.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #181186 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Cont ESA & £85 per week

Horty wrote: 1.I have Contribution ESA. I know I can take the tax free sum from this without affecting my ESA. Regarding the other, I believe that with Contribution ESA, I can take £85 per week without it being affected. (Can you please confirm I a right on this)..I originally thought I could have as much as I like put into my savings.
2. If I took a payment from my pension of £4220 which is equivalent to £85 PW, would this be OK?
The £4220 would be on top of the tax free sum. I can't see any problems with taking the £85 per week in one go.
Thanks

Acknowledging that we can't give detailed financial advice on the forum.

The £85 disregard applies to regular pension payments, if you are taking the money as an additional lump sum, then I would expect it to be counted as savings.

My recommendation is that you get proper advice before proceeding.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 3 months ago #181230 by David
Replied by David on topic Cont ESA & £85 per week
Hi
I was in a similar position, took expert financial advice. Advisor required conformation from DWP that capital received would not affect benefit. I rang JC+ and have a letter stating
"Any capital received has no effect on Contribution based ESA which Mr P****** is receiving" :) although I did get stung with a tax bill :(

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris