× Members

DLA to PIP 16 year old son who has Asperger

More
6 years 9 months ago #193376 by michelle121
DLA to PIP 16 year old son who has Asperger was created by michelle121
Hello I am new to this forum , I would really appreciate any advice or help with my question . My son has just turned 16 and I am having to fill out his PIP form from DLA. ( I am my son's carer and appointee) I am finding this hard to fill out as my son has Asperger Syndrome , he suffers with anxiety and somatisation disorder. My son is very bright with maths and computers, I have been home schooling him since he was 13 years old due to him being bullied as he was different from other children. my son felt like he never fitted in at school. My son does not go anywhere on his own, I always accompany him every where, he does not go on public transport as I drive, he has a few friends who we visit , he has loads of online friends until he ends up falling out with them , I help him wash and dress every day , as he would not bother checking water temperature or he would forget to turn the tap off. If he dressed himself he would wear clothes inside out or back to front and inappropriate for the weather conditions. I do all his cooking as he cannot be trusted in the kitchen, ie, lack of concentration of what he was doing, he dislikes loud noises and struggles in social situations with lots of people around , he fails to see any danger in anyone or anything. He understands money value and he knows how to add up he is very bright , but he wouldn't have any idea how to pay bills or budget. I also wanted to know if I had to resend all the evidence that I provided with his DLA form again with the PIP form . I love my son very dearly and I feel like I am bein g disloyal to him by writing this forum about him , Please if anyone can give me some advice I would be so grateful . Thank you
Michelle121

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193387 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP 16 year old son who has Asperger
Michelle

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Please make sure that you are using our Pip Claim guide to help you complete the form, it explains how to answer the questions and has details of the criteria that he will need to meet. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

In particular have a look at the sections on "reliability" and on the "majority of days"

If you have any questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193426 by michelle121
Replied by michelle121 on topic DLA to PIP 16 year old son who has Aspergerg
Hi Gordon Thank you for replying to my message . I have read the guide to PIP form , I found it really interesting but I did not find any information regarding Asperger . I am finding it difficult to complete the form as it is hard to explain my son's condition . I will keep looking on here to see if I can find any more information . Thank you

More
6 years 9 months ago #193437 by Gordon

michelle121 wrote: Hi Gordon Thank you for replying to my message . I have read the guide to PIP form , I found it really interesting but I did not find any information regarding Asperger . I am finding it difficult to complete the form as it is hard to explain my son's condition . I will keep looking on here to see if I can find any more information . Thank you

It's important to understand that PIP is not about the conditions that the claimant has, it looks at the limitations that result from them, you mention a number of problems that your son would have with the PIP activities in your first post, you need to concentrate on things like this in your answers.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193446 by triciatext
Replied by triciatext on topic DLA to PIP 16 year old son who has Asperger
Michelle
I have a daughter who is now 19 and has aspergers. There is very little guidance on how to fill out the pip form for young people wih aspergers. Does your son have any medical reports or assessments you could refer to ? It is important to provide evidence whether it be from the gp or from professionals that know him as in my experience otherwise it will be ignored. you need to also provide examples indetails of any 'Meltdowns' he has and what leads to these occurring. My daughter gets higer rate care and mobility but is due to have yet another assessment by atos on monday. You need to dedicate. A lot of time in preparing your anwers so my advice is to do a little each day so the task does not get too overwhelming.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.