Work placements/Permitted work in SG

• moutainsandoceans
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #194461 by moutainsandoceans
Work placements/Permitted work in SG was created by moutainsandoceans
Hello,

Would appreciate some help.

I've been homebound with chronic illness for several years.

I'm in SG currently, and want to see if it's possible to do work placements in a field of my interest before I was very sick. Or if this will affect my SG claim, and force me to withdraw from it.

Any work placement I got in my field would last around a month, and from what I'm aware the pay would be under £800.

Would taking this work, 30 days, threaten my claim? Is there stipulations that would jeopardise me in this context?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #194500 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Work placements/Permitted work in SG
moutainsandoceans

I would normally recommend that you look at Permitted Work. however the wages you are talking about far exceed the maximum £120 per week that you can receive on PW.

Your only option would be to close your ESA claim, do the work and then re-claim ESA, providing you do this within 12 weeks of your ESA being closed then you should be able to make a rapid reclaim and be put back on to your current award.

You also need to consider whether the work you would be doing would contradict the reasons why you have been awarded ESA in the first place, as a deliberately silly example, if you qualified for ESA due to you mobility problems and took a job delivering the post then this would undoubtedly be a red flag to the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

• moutainsandoceans
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #198328 by moutainsandoceans
Replied by moutainsandoceans on topic Work placements/Permitted work in SG
Thanks Gordon.

I had a few questions I wanted to ask since last posting.

But yes, seems as though I will have to close my claim then. And it will be desk orientated work.

How should I go about contacting ESA. Shall I phone the job centre?

I'm wary as I'm still in the WP although I have been in the SG. And I don't want them contacting my prospective employer or bothering me.

Also, do you happen to know how my HB and CTR would be affected when I close claim?

• moutainsandoceans
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #198336 by moutainsandoceans
Replied by moutainsandoceans on topic Work placements/Permitted work in SG
Also I started the placement a few weeks ago but haven't received pay. Should I notify DWP as soon as my contract is in place and I know when pay will be received -- then follow your previously suggested guidelines?

More
6 years 6 months ago #198362 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Work placements/Permitted work in SG
moutainsandoceans

If you have started the work without contacting the DWP then you are in breach of the conditions under which you receive ESA, you must contact the DWP immediately to either see if you can do Permitted Work or to close your claim, failing to do so will almost certainly result in a recoverable over payment of your ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.