× Members

Very worried about medical assessment ...

More
6 years 11 months ago #199893 by PL
I have had serious mental health problems since my teens - my life essentially stopped then, impossible to complete education or hold down a job, hospitalised once for mental health, been on olanzapine and other medication for decades - I am now middle-aged and there has been no improvement in those decades. I explained my history on the ESA assessment form I was sent(my second assessment form, the first time I didn't have a medical).

Despite my decades long history of serious mental health problems the DWP, unlike my first assessment, have called me in for a medical. I don't understand why they have done this since I have a decades long medical history and the questions the computer software they use ask appear to be exactly the same questions as the assessment form - and on the assessment I am certain I should have easily scored enough points, as I did the first time they sent me the form.

So basically what I want to know are two things really - should I be worried about the assessment given my decades long history and previous review where they didn't have a medical? And secondly can someone give me first hand experience of a mental health medical so that I know what the real thing will be like.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #199900 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Very worried about medical assessment ...
PL

It is Maximus who have made the Decision that a face to face is required, this is most likely due to their being insufficient information for them to make a recommendation to the DWP, however, the Assessment Provider has changed and we have seen them doing face to faces where the last one assessment was done on paper.

You can push for home assessment and maybe a Paper Based Review but you will need the support of your GP. In the first case you will need them to explain why you cannot attend at Maximus's office. For the latter, they will need to provide any missing evidence that Maximus require, you will have to contact them to find out what this might be.

As to the experience of an assessment, the ESA Claim guides have an explanation of the assessment and a list of questions that you are likely to be asked.

Hopefully other members can tell you of their experiences at the assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 11 months ago #199901 by PL
Thanks for the reply ...

So do I contact Maximus customer relations using the e-mail or phone number on this page -

www.chdauk.co.uk/contact-us

I would prefer to use e-mail(no argument over who said what in an e-mail exchange) but my appointment has been pencilled in for mid-November so I suppose phoning might be quicker.

More
6 years 11 months ago #199903 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Very worried about medical assessment ...
[quote="PL
" post=199901]Thanks for the reply ...

So do I contact Maximus customer relations using the e-mail or phone number on this page -

www.chdauk.co.uk/contact-us

I would prefer to use e-mail(no argument over who said what in an e-mail exchange) but my appointment has been pencilled in for mid-November so I suppose phoning might be quicker.[/quote]

Yes you can email them using that contact information.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.