× Members

Volunteering and training

More
6 years 2 months ago #209701 by Jay La
Volunteering and training was created by Jay La
Hi. I have applied to volunteer with my local Drugs rehab project and they’ve offered me a place doing 6 hours a week. In order to do this I need to do their training, which is two days a week over five weeks. Each day is 6 hours long, ie under 16 hours each week (the max I’d be allowed to do if I was doing paid work). Does anyone know if it is fine for me to go ahead and do this training? I very much assume I can, but I can’t get through to the DWP to actually ask them, let alone inform them that I wish to or plan to do the training and volunteering. I’ve emailed my local Jobcentre plus, who referred my email to the DWP, who in turn referred me back to the Jobcentre plus - what a farce! So I have asked via email again what I should do, but I thought I’d ask here too. I’m tempted just to get on with the training, which starts in 9 days time, and email Jobcentre Plus again informing them I’m doing it - but of course I’m concerned this may in some stupid way violate my esa claim (I’m in the work group btw). The only other option I can think of is to walk into my local Jobcentre Plus and simply inform someone! I used to have a job coach there but he stopped responding over a year ago, perhaps he left the job...
Thanks I’m advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #209716 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Volunteering and training
Jay La

You need to contact the DWP office dealing with your claim, the information will be on any letter that you have received about your ESA and ask for a VOL1 form, so that you can explain the voluntary work that you are intending to do.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jay La

More
6 years 2 months ago #209725 by Jay La
Replied by Jay La on topic Volunteering and training
Thank you Gordon. I managed to get through on the phone in the end and all is sorted.

More
6 years 2 months ago #209734 by Jules sanders
Replied by Jules sanders on topic Volunteering and training
Hi
I had the same problem - it took me almost a week to get through as i was getting no replies to my emails. I eventually talked to an adviser who sent me a preferred work form which i sent back but i have heard nothing since. The lady on the phone said I probably wouldnt do but she did say DWP would encourage any training or voluntary works. I asked her to make full notes of our conversation and she assured me she had. This was 3 months ago - hope this helps :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.