× Members

Username issue

More
6 years 5 months ago #211075 by IamShell
Username issue was created by IamShell
Hi,
Hope one of the mods can help. My 'username' is IamShell but I noticed today that I was logged in under 'name' with my full name showing (even though IamShell still appears as my 'username' in my profile!). I had to go to my profile and change my 'name' to just my initials and now I am logged in as 'username' MS.
I expect for the site's purposes my 'name' has to appear in full in my profile but, as I said, I can't do this as it's showing as my 'username'/ 'logged-in' name. How can I get my 'username 'back to IamShell so I can supply my full name under 'name' in my profile? I get a red circle with a line through it when I hover over my 'username' in the profile editing area
Hope someone can help... Not idea why this has happened :S Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #211081 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Username issue
MS

The site uses two user names, one is for logins and one for display in the forum.

When you log in your login name will be confirmed, only you can see this. You can't change this name without re-registering with the site.

Your forum name is displayed for any posts that you make, this name can be changed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 5 months ago #211089 by IamShell
Replied by IamShell on topic Username issue
Thanks, Gordon...
I feel stupid but under edit profile information, my username has always been IamShell and I'm sure that my name (directly under that) has always been my full name. I did log in successfully with IamShell but, as I said, I appeared on the forum as my full name and so had to edit to my initials, making me now appear as MS on there.
I have no idea why I suddenly stopped appearing as IamShell in the forum as I'm sure I've not edited any names in my profile... I've always logged in as IamShell and had that name against any of my posts/ replies too...
I want to both log in as IamShell and appear as IamShell on the forum. Is the answer to
put IamShell under 'Name' too? That way will I both log into the forum and appear on the forum as that name?
Sorry if I am making this more confusing than it is! :unsure:

More
6 years 5 months ago #211113 by Gordon
MS/Shell

There are two fields in your profile; user name and name. The former is used to log into the forum and the latter is the one displayed in the forum.

Your user name cannot appear in the forun, it's simply not possible.

You can change your name but you cannot change your user name.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 5 months ago #211136 by IamShell
Replied by IamShell on topic Username issue
Thanks, Gordon. I think somewhere along the line I must have inadvertently changed my name from IamShell to my full name, allowing my full name to appear on the forum. Whenever I log in I log in with user name IamShell and then enter my password, and then I also appear as IamShell in the forum (usually!). So,I think I need to change both username and name fields to IamShell so I appear as that on the forum. I hope that's right. Thanks, Gordon.

More
6 years 5 months ago #211154 by Gordon
IamShell

You cannot change the user name, if you want to appear as "IamShell" on the forum then change the name field.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.