× Members

ESA or UC initial assessment periods

More
6 years 3 months ago #213618 by nonsmoker2008
ESA or UC initial assessment periods was created by nonsmoker2008
Hi

I have now been firced to finish IS before my 8 week run on period (ex carers allowance) as i was advised elsewhere that I would be better off under ESA IR before UC full service comes to my town on 4 July. Now Im reading transitional protection is coming back on the table for new UC claimants so dont know which i should be applying for.
(Currently on pip enhanced both 10 years minimum with multiple chronic and severe primary conditions with 3 x medical evidence stating i will never be able to work again)

I giess it comes down to which is longer if i dont get a paper assessment, up to 13 weeks ESA or .... how long is the initial UC medical assessment period? On esa ive been told i will immed. qualify for 76 plus 64 (sdp) then another 50 when alloted support group. That equals what i was getting up to now on IS incl premiums. Question 2, will initial UC give me same as initial ESA and do i have to waot 13 weeks for UC too?

hope that makes srnse

thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #213630 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA or UC initial assessment periods
nonsmoker2008

I would be cautious of taking yesterdays announcement in to account for your immediate Decision about what you should claim, the UC legislation does not currently allow for some of the things that were included and even if this is ignored the DWP have a poor reputation for implementing change, they haven't yet issued new guidance to DMs in regard the Mobility changes that were announced in January.

As it stands I would expect you to receive less under UC than ESA as the SDP is not currently payable, you could also be subject to Work Related activity or even being required to seek work at the discretion of your JC+ advisor, this will not be the case under ESA. Lastly it is 7 waiting days for ESA, it will be five or more weeks for UC.

The wait time for an assessment is the same for both UC and ESA, for major cities you are probably looking at 6-8 weeks at best, towns and rural aread are over six montha. This could include any Decision as to whether a Paper Based Review is appropriate of not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

More
6 years 3 months ago #213639 by nonsmoker2008
Replied by nonsmoker2008 on topic ESA or UC initial assessment periods
Thank you so much Gordon, exactly what I needed to know!

As always

Please get recharged amd fully rested and enjoy the weather

x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid