× Members

DLA to PIP & ESA Severe Disability Premium

More
6 years 2 months ago #215418 by Pandora65
My son who was getting Low rate care and High rate mobility on DLA had the dreaded transfer to PIP letter back in March 2018. He finally had a home assessment on the 13th of June which we are still awaiting the outcome of. I've phoned at least 4 times to try an get a copy of the assessor report and been told that they cannot release it until the award is made known. He has also requested this in writing. However today he has received another 'brown envelope' this time from the ESA department for which he has been in the Support group since February 2017. Contained within is a claim form to invite him to apply for Severe Disability Premium. Does this mean that he must have been awarded at least the Standard Rate for care under PIP?

Should I ring the PIP 'helpline' again to see if they've actually made a decision? My son is very reluctant for me to do so or just wait on for however long that might be?

I did follow the claims guide with great care and my son's answers and additional evidence backed up what was in his PIP form so here's hoping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #215431 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP & ESA Severe Disability Premium
Pandora

I'm afraid this letter is nothing to do with his PIP claim, see

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3735-esa-...t-many-will-miss-out

Are you in Northern Ireland? If you are then the Department for Communities are refusing to release the reports until a Decision has been made although there is no legal basis for them doing this.

If you are on the mainland then this should not be an issue, some members, like you, have been refused but have been able to get the report by phoning again.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 months ago #215448 by Pandora65
Replied by Pandora65 on topic DLA to PIP & ESA Severe Disability Premium
I will try again tomorrow to get hold of the report. Still waiting on the PIP decision coming through. It's now been six weeks since the assessment.

I will post the outcome as soon as I know.

More
6 years 2 months ago #215455 by Pandora65
Replied by Pandora65 on topic DLA to PIP & ESA Severe Disability Premium
Update

I phoned the 'helpline' this morning to ask if a decision had been made and to request the full report. The person I spoke to was actually very helpful was told that the award letter had been raised on the 19th of July. He asked me if I wanted to know what the outcome was and proceeded to tell me that my son had been awarded Standard care and Enhanced mobility. Previously he was on low rate care and high rate mobility on DLA continuous award. The award is until June 2021 so nearly 2 years until the whole circus starts again. This was more than we were expecting and we're both extremely relieved.

I followed all the guides with extreme care using the 'correct' descriptors to describe what he can and can't do cross referencing it to the evidence supplied. He has a very helpful consultant who provided a detailed report which also backed-up what we'd said. It also helped that the assessor we had did actually listen and had read all the documents before the day.

Still a very stressful and long-winded process that is onerous for the claimants and their friends and family.

From start to finish was 4 months.

Thank you to Gordon and the team as I don't think we would have succeeded without the brilliant guides.

More
6 years 2 months ago #215463 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP & ESA Severe Disability Premium
Pandora

That's brilliant news, very pleased for you, well done.

Gordon

tags: @RESULT @PIP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.