× Members

ESA50 and Chronic Pain

More
6 years 1 month ago #216948 by Joulesss
ESA50 and Chronic Pain was created by Joulesss
Received an ESA50 today having been in ESA in the WRAG for some years now. On moving from DLA to PIP I now have the PIP at standard rate for both categories.

Have just read through the guidelines!!! Wonderfully comprehensive ... but ... not sure where chronic pain fits in with the new system that seperates physical and mental health conditions as to me the two are combined.

I have, amongst other things, degenerative disc disease and this led to me developing chronic pain that can be set off by a plethora of things but particularly stress.

Should I fill in both sections as applicable or just keep to the physical one?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #216989 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA50 and Chronic Pain
Julie

It's not the pain that is at issue but the underlying condition that causes it but I suspect that it will be treated as a physical problem, however, I would still complete the Mental Health questions (Q11-Q17) if you think that they apply to you if you do not then you certainly won't score, you may still not but you never know.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joulesss

More
6 years 1 month ago #216995 by steveinleo59
Replied by steveinleo59 on topic ESA50 and Chronic Pain
As a chronic pain syndrome sufferer myself, I can empathize with your condition and how it fit's the tick boxes on the ESA 50.

I was advised to think of the form as filling it in on your worst possible pain day. Also if you drive it would be worth stating that your car is your mobility aid. I did because without it I couldn't walk to the shops and carry home any amount of shopping.

More
6 years 1 month ago #217004 by Gordon

steveinleo59 wrote: As a chronic pain syndrome sufferer myself, I can empathize with your condition and how it fit's the tick boxes on the ESA 50.

I was advised to think of the form as filling it in on your worst possible pain day. Also if you drive it would be worth stating that your car is your mobility aid. I did because without it I couldn't walk to the shops and carry home any amount of shopping.

I hope you will forgive me but this is very bad advice and can lead to accusations of benefit fraud.

You must complete your forms based on how you are affected across a range of severities, certainly ait's worst but also at very least, as you are the majority of the time.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 days ago #218434 by Joulesss
Replied by Joulesss on topic ESA50 and Chronic Pain
Would I be right in thinking that that my claim will continue to be assessed on the guidelines in place when I was first placed on ESA WRAG (2010), but the form should be completed following the current guidelines?
Many thanks

More
6 years 1 day ago #218449 by Gordon

Julie wrote: Would I be right in thinking that that my claim will continue to be assessed on the guidelines in place when I was first placed on ESA WRAG (2010), but the form should be completed following the current guidelines?
Many thanks

Forgive me but I not sure what you mean by "continue to be assessed on the guidelines in place when I was first placed on ESA WRAG (2010)"?

Your new ESA50 will be assessed under the legislation currently in force.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid