× Members

WRI on DLA

More
6 years 2 days ago #218397 by jej99
WRI on DLA was created by jej99
Hi, I hope you guys can help.

My 32 yr old son has Asperger's. He lives with his partner in Ceredigion, Wales. He claims DLA and his partner claims carers allowance and Income support. My son doesn't claim any income related benefits just DLA (not PIP). For the last couple of years his mental health has deteriorated rapidly, to the extent that he doesn't want to leave the house because he thinks there is poison everywhere. He is on a waiting list for therapy with the secondary mental health services and has been told that this will probably be a year.

Today his partner received a letter stating that my son has been invited for a work related interview on the 2nd October in Aberystwyth, an hour away by bus. Apparently, there is another envelope addressed to my son from JS+ but he is sleeping and hasn't opened it. The partner is freaking out. My son won't leave the house. He can't even get to the local surgery now because everything is 'dirty'. When my son wakes up and sees the letter he will react badly.

I've done a quick search online and can't find anything which says that people on DLA are required to have work related interviews. Does anyone know if it is true? I live in Cumbria and am disabled myself so any help I can give is over Skype (son won't use a phone).

TIA
Julie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 days ago #218410 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic WRI on DLA
cydney65

The appointment actually stems from his partner's Income Support, partners are requested to attend Work Focused Interviews as a condition of the claimant receiving the benefit.

There should be an advisor and contact number on the letter, they need to contact them and explain the situation. Holding the interview over the phone would be a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act, I realise that your son would still have a problem with this but the WFI is a legal requirement, although I would hope that the advisor sees sense and cancel the requirement completely.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: jej99

More
6 years 2 days ago #218437 by jej99
Replied by jej99 on topic WRI on DLA
Thank you Gordon, as always. I'll pass this information on.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid