× Members

ESA Support Group Migration To Universal Credit

More
6 years 2 days ago #218400 by Kev68
I have been in the ESA support group for five years (2 assessments). I also receive housing benefit. I have just moved into a new borough where Universal Credit is being rolled out. I was told that instead of claiming housing benefit I would now have to claim UC. This of course then affects my ESA as its one of the benefits being replaced by UC.

I completed the online application for UC and despite there being a section for health where I could list my conditions there was no section asking if I received ESA. In the UC application it asks you to complete a section on what type of work you can do and would be willing to look for - in here I simply stated "Unable to work - in the ESA Support Group".

I was then advised I have to go in for an interview this coming Monday 01-Oct-18 to the nearest Job Centre to get my "security number". After trying multiple times to speak to someone on the helpline (its an absolute nightmare) I finally got thru to someone this morning. They said that in most cases people in the ESA support group will be migrated over to UC without any changes to a) their money or b) their commitments (ie don't have to attend WRA interviews).

BUT she also said that my ESA will run out at the end of October and under normal circumstances this would mean another ESA assessment. She didn't know what would happen now that I'm moving to UC.

Will there be the same ESA type assessment with the only difference being that it will be for UC?

Is there any potential in the UC interview this Monday for anything to go wrong ie they make a decision on my health, try to "make" me go to WRA etc.

What are the possible ramifications if I covertly record this interview and use it if anything does go wrong?

In a few days I have experienced first hand the absolute shambles that is UC. My stress levels have gone thru the roof and am really struggling with it all. Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 days ago #218411 by Gordon
Kev

Yes, your existing SG award should be migrated over to your UC claim, it's a manual process so it may take a couple of weeks, just make sure that they are aware of your current award via your UC journal.

The assessment criteria and process for UC is identical to ESA so you should receive a UC50 in October, our ESA Claim guides cover this form as well.

There should be no issue with your covertly recording any meetings that you have., however, your using the recordings is another matter but hopefully you will not need to. Understand that your right to covertly record someone does not mean that they have to accept being recorded if they find out what you are doing, so be careful.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kev68

More
6 years 1 day ago #218441 by Kev68
Thanks Gordon. That has reassured me. It’s incredible how stressful these type of changes can be. I appreciate all your advice on recordings.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid