× Members

Benefit help

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #218565 by Carly
Benefit help was created by Carly
Hello,

My award for pip cane through at higher mobility and lower care. The report is nonsense and I could appeal as I can’t cook a meal etc and stated this clearly but no points awarded there... but anyway .. I just wanted to ask about other knock on entitlements please...

I currently live with parents and always have but am considering trialing a short term rental by myself. I have no knowledge of hb but am
In a uc area but I get esa. I know prior to uc I would have been entitled to an enhanced premium for living alone which was really significant money wise ... is this definitely not available now - or any round it as I believe they are protecting in a new way and bringing out new policies? It’s such a shame applying for hb will trigger a uc claim as that extra would have made it doable. Just wondered if there are any tops up I would be missing if did get hb? And also even if I could I get it for a short lease?
Thanks so much for any help. I’m new to it and find it exhausting wading through everything.

Also at present whilst living at home can my parents claim careers allowance if they get tax credits? They do not get UC and both work and own s house, but my mum gets a small dla award which entitles her to disabled tax credits as she works 16 hours. How does this work? My dad is self employed and so his average may be less than £120 a week overall yearly wise, but some weeks is more? But does it come off tax credits? And if over £120 or yearly equivilAnt how does this work with the uc route?
Any help to what I / we are additionally entitled to would be great.
Thankyou
Charlie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #218603 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Benefit help
Carly

Today, you would not be eligible to receive the Premium as part of any UC claim, there are amended Regulations being looked at which change this but there are other issues with them which mean they may not come in to force for some time.

You can try putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators to see if there are any other payments that you might be entitled to.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

The Tax Credits would not stop a claim for CA but the CA may affect the amount of Tax Credits she receives as it will be counted as income.

Also, her claiming CA will the payment of the Premium as one of the criteria is that no one is receiving CA against your PIP award.

Finally, CA has a weekly earnings limit of £116 so if either earns more than this after deductions then they will not be able to claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #218649 by Carly
Replied by Carly on topic Benefit help
Thanks Gordon

Yes, I’m kind of holding out to see if any chance I could get sdp if I lived alone if things changed. Or could stay on esa to then apply - rather than be switched to uc if I apply for my first time hb now.... do you think it’s possible this could alter?

And if one of my parents claimed careers allowance in the meantime would this hinder me doing this or can that just be stopped? It’s hard to know what to do.

Also, some more questions ... Thankyou so much for your help...

If my father claimed carer allowance (presuming it was worth it with the tax credit deduction) and he is self employed can they average his yearly earnings which are under £120 week? But some weeks he earns more then doesn’t work for weeks. Mum checked and she earns just over the amount.

Re housing benefit - would I get a 2 bed allowance as would need someone to come stay over often?

Also - is it possible to get hb for a short term let? Does this have to be a certain kind of rental, or could someone who say does air bnb rent it to me for 3 months with a proper agreement? I’ve never looked into it before but I would like some independence now.

And is council tax deregarded?

Also - last question - sorry - I am debating asking for a reconsideration as I got 10 points on care component. They said I could cook when this is my mAin issue as I have cfs. I cannot cook and I wasn’t even given the points for needing help. I’ve always consistently had dla for this. I’m pretty sure I could get an extra 2 points needed - but how risky is it? If I just say I can’t cook can you look at my evidence for this please. How often do they downgrade people in cases like this? I think they almost expect me to ask to change it as it’s so obviously I don’t do this and it was noted I never cook but assumed I can with an aid. Which would not help as its fatigue and dizziness and even if did occasionLly it’s never without symptoms and Effects and at the expense of not doing something else , and I would have help.

Many thanks again

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #218661 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Benefit help
Carly

Nothing is going to change under the current legislation and I can't give you any timescales on when it will.

It may be possible to average your father's earnings but this has to be agreed in advance with the DWP, otherwise, he can just not be paid on the week's where he exceeds the limit.

I'm afraid we don't advise on Housing Benefit on the forum, get face to face advice from a local advisor, HB is specific to the Local Authority.

Losing points at an MR is now quite rare but it does still happen, I can't quantify the risk for you.

Unlike some of the PIP activities, Preparing Food is not going to be specific to a time of the day, so you are going to show that you have problems throughout the day and explain why you cannot reliably complete this activity on the majority of days. Would suitable aids allow you to cook? If you can show a need then this would score you points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.