× Members

JSA with sick note before ESA?

More
5 years 11 months ago #218590 by Bill
JSA with sick note before ESA? was created by Bill
Hi

It's over a year ago since I lost my appeal to claim ESA, I haven't been working or claiming anything since.

I've decided to claim ESA again and this time I'll try and get the supporting evidence to support my claim, I think that's where I went wrong last time. The first time I claimed ESA 5 or 6 year's ago they awarded me ESA without having any supporting evidence, it appears that thing's have changed for the worst with so many obstacles in the way now!!!

I've had chronic fatigue syndrome for over 10 year's now, I stopped attending the CFS clinic at my local hospital as a result of ongoing problems with depression, the therapist said I could leave and return when I felt comfortable to do so. To be honest the assistance they gave wasn't doing much to help, they teach you about pacing yourself which I was already familiar with. But I'm considering returning the centre in the hope they can support my claim for ESA.

Obviously I would think I would have to attend the CFS for some time before I can apply for ESA so they have the time required to assess my condition and support my claim for ESA?

It's a couple of year's now since I learnt on here that a way to get some money in the meantime would be to claim JSA but immediately after being awarded this I could submit a sick note.

Is this still the case, it just doesn't seem the correct thing to do? Would this hinder in some way the subsequent claim for ESA?

Thanks very much!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218623 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic JSA with sick note before ESA?
Bill

Is your postcode now a Universal Credit Full Service area? If it is then you will only be able to claim UC, you will then have to notify the DWP that you are Unfit for Work and wish to be assessed for Limited Capability for Work.

If you are not in a UC area then you can make a new claim for ESA but you must be able to show that your conditions have deteriorated or you have a new condition likely to result in an award. You will need your GP to make this clear on the Fit Note you will need to submit with the claim.

I can't see any reason why you need to re-attend the ME clinic prior to making a claim for ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 11 months ago #218671 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic JSA with sick note before ESA?
Thanks Gordon for replying, I am in a Universal Credit Full Service area.

So I would have to notify the DWP that I am Unfit for Work and wish to be assessed for Limited Capability for Work.

If I had been claiming ESA I think they would've sent me ESA50 shortly after making the claim where I would have to answer questions regarding my capability for work, but I would also have to include supporting evidence.

So if I apply for UC I would assume that I would receive a similar form soon after with a date by which in needs to be returned where they'll also require evidence to support my claim? I just don't want to be making a claim and receive such a form when I don't have the supporting evidence that I need. For instance, I could put in a claim for UC then contact the ME clinic only be given an appointment in 6 week's time!!

I'm just thinking I should attend the ME clinic for a few week's so they can assess my condition then put in a claim for UC.

I have no idea how these things work now Gordon, any advice would be much appreciated.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218674 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic JSA with sick note before ESA?
Bill

Certainly, you can source medical evidence to help your claim.

There is a UC50 form for UC, to all intents and purposes it is the same as an ESA50, the criteria for UC is the same as ESA.

If you put in a UC claim without presenting a Fit Note then you will be subject to full job search conditionality.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill

More
5 years 11 months ago #218686 by Bill
Gordon.

If I put in a fit note at what stage would I do that, do I claim UC and when it's awarded do I then give them the fit note? It doesn't seem right to say that I'm fit for work and then give them a fit note immediately after the UC is awarded?

Do I claim UC and at the same time give them a fit note, how long can I receive UC whilst asking my doctor for fit notes before they'll give me a UC50 form where I'll need to provide eveidence to support my claim?

Sorry for so many questions.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218689 by Bill
Sorry to ask again Gordon.

If I obtain fit notes from the doctor how long can I keep putting them in before they'll issue a UC50?

Thanks

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid