× Members

IR ESA, PIP & Secondary Pension

More
5 years 11 months ago #218788 by scarley4
IR ESA, PIP & Secondary Pension was created by scarley4
Hi, I am on IR ESA, PIP and a carer for my daughter who lives with me. I have a secondary pension worth about £6,500 which will mature in January. If I take it as a lump sum will this affect any of my benefits? I also get reduced council tax and housing benefit. How much can I have in savings before any of this is affected. This amount would not be worth anything if I take as part of my pension which would be in another five years. Thanks for any help as I don't know what to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218795 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IR ESA, PIP & Secondary Pension
scarley

Your ESA(IR) will be affected, HB uses similar rules but will only be reduced if you lose your ESA(IR), see

Asset and savings rule for ESA(IR)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: scarley4

More
5 years 11 months ago #218936 by scarley4
Replied by scarley4 on topic IR ESA, PIP & Secondary Pension
Thanks for that Gordon. Could I take part of it and re-invest the rest for when I reach pension age without these benefits being affected or is this not an option? I am in the support group for a long term chronic illness. Many thanks.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218962 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IR ESA, PIP & Secondary Pension

scarley4 wrote: Thanks for that Gordon. Could I take part of it and re-invest the rest for when I reach pension age without these benefits being affected or is this not an option? I am in the support group for a long term chronic illness. Many thanks.

It would still be treated as an asset, just in a different form, for example; cash changed into an ISA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: scarley4

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.