× Members

Letter re 'additional premiums' for IB ESA

More
5 years 11 months ago #218978 by laylaa
Hi
My daughter has just received one of these letters saying she may be entitled to extra payments for Income Related ESA because she has always been on Contribution Based ESA. She was transferred from Incapacity benefit in 2012 and they have asked for financial information from that date.

Fortunately I have been able to find bank statements etc for that period, and for part of that time she was under £16,000 but over £6000 because when she was a child I insisted she saved all of her benefits and I paid for everything she needed, simply as I thought it would be good for her to at least have a small amount of savings 'just in case'. Then we moved and she paid the bulk of her savings towards our new home and her assets are now below £6k.

I have a number of questions -

1) Will they, for the period of time she had over £6000, calculate deductions from her ESA, even though she is on CB?

2) It looks as if she is eligible for the Disability Premium, but not the Severe (I received Carers Allowance) or Enhanced (She is only in middle rate care for DLA), so am I right in thinking she will be owed the weekly payment of Disability Premium from the date quoted on the letter?

3) If that is so, would just that amount be considered as Income Related, and thus affected by her savings? It's all very opaque.

4) Does all this mean that they are intending to compulsorily migrate her onto IR ESA, or will she be left on CB ESA? The whole thing makes me feel very twitchy about motive!

5) How on earth do they calculate the deductions with IR benefit? Current accounts in particular change daily, so how do they work out the deductions - how much information do
I need to send them? Just end of month balances for the entire 6 years?

I am sure I will have lots of other questions, as I have always deliberately avoided any income-related benefits simply because of the complexity and length of the questionnaires, so I have zero knowledge of them!

I really appreciate any help anyone is able to offer, and sorry there are so many questions!

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218984 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Letter re 'additional premiums' for IB ESA
laylaa

1. They are looking at whether they can pay her an Income Related ESA top-up to her ESA(CB). If her savings are above the £6000 limit then they will make deductions from any ESA(IR) she is entitled to, her ESA(CB) is unaffected.

2. The Disability Premium is not payable with ESA if she does not qualify for the SD Premium due to your claiming CA then it will be whether she is entitled to the Enhanced Disability for being in the Support Group, currently £16.40 a week.

3. Yes.

4. She remains entitled to ESA(CB) the ESA(IR) will be paid as a top-up.

5. Asset and savings rule for ESA(IR)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: laylaa

More
5 years 11 months ago #218986 by keeptrying
Replied by keeptrying on topic Letter re 'additional premiums' for IB ESA
here are a few answers
only the IR ESA is affected by savings,
CB ESA would not change regardless of her savings

the IR element is a top up and she would REMAIN on CB ESA

the IR element is reduced if she has savings over £6k
every £250 or part thereof, over £6k, will reduce the IR top up by £1
eg, savings of £6530 would deduct £3 from the IR amount
If she had savings over £16k then she would not receive any IR ESA for that period
The following user(s) said Thank You: laylaa

More
5 years 11 months ago #218988 by keeptrying
Replied by keeptrying on topic Letter re 'additional premiums' for IB ESA
oh Gordon beat me to it!!

More
5 years 11 months ago #218993 by laylaa
Replied by laylaa on topic Letter re 'additional premiums' for IB ESA
Thank you for such quick responses. However, I'm a bit confused. You say :

The Disability Premium is not payable with ESA if she does not qualify for the SD Premium due to your claiming CA then it will be whether she is entitled to the Enhanced Disability for being in the Support Group, currently £16.40 a week.

But I was under the impression from the Gov.uk site that she would be eligible for Disability Premium at £33.55 pw, because she receives DLA, but NOT eligible for Severe Disability because I received Carers Allowance and I live with her, and NOT eligible for Enhanced Disability because she doesn't get High rate DLA., and because she is on CB ESA.

I don't understand why you say Disability Premium is not payable with ESA?

Sorry if I'm being thick - freaking out a bit about all this!

More
5 years 11 months ago #219005 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Letter re 'additional premiums' for IB ESA
laylaa

The Disability Premium is not payable with ESA, it is replaced by the WRAG or Support Group component.

EDP is payable because the claimant has DLA HRC or PIP Enhanced DL or ESA SG

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid