× Members

Severe Disability allowance

More
5 years 5 months ago #229150 by Welshy66
Severe Disability allowance was created by Welshy66
I need advice. I was turned down for the severe disability premium in Dec 2015 (this benefit forn was sent automatically to me when I qualified for PIP). I was made aware during a phone call with the DWP this March that I qualify for this benefit as both my Son's had left home. I was also told I may have been entitled to this benefit (during the phone call) from Sept 2016 when my son went to Uni. I was advised to fill the form out, send it back, and it could be back dated. So, I have now been awarded this benefit, however I had to send in a letter of reconsideration regarding entitlement to back payments. I have done this stating that I wasnt aware that once my youngest son went to uni in Sept 2016 I would have qualified for this benefit. I received a call from the DWP stating that they have referred my reconsideration letter to their Chesterfield office as they can't make a decision as I should have advised them of a change of circumstance. I didn't realise that my son going to uni was a change of circumstance and that this was part of the criteria to entitle me the benefit. I informed the Council Tax people at the time he went to Uni and thought if there was any issues it would have been passed down the chain. I am waiting a response from the DWP Chesterfield office at the time of writing this. You've helped me in the past and your help and advice would be appreciated. Thankyou so much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #229161 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Severe Disability allowance
Welshy

At the moment all you can do is wait for Chesterfield to make a Decision.

When you received their original Decision in 2015 did it explain why the SD Premium had been refused?

To be honest, I'm not sure why the DWP are making such a fuss over your not having told them about your son leaving for University. The Premiums are not like your ESA where you have to show that you meet certain criteria, eligibility for the Premiums is black and white, either you do or you do not, there is no subjective review of your circumstances and of course the bottom line is that if you had informed them, the Premium would have been paid.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #229179 by Welshy66
Replied by Welshy66 on topic Severe Disability allowance
Hi Gordon, thankyou so much for your reply. I never had a response from the DWP in 2015 stating why. It was only a chance phone call this March that I was aware of this. As you said I will wait for a response from Chesterfield. How would I know what the criteria was!! I didn't think that my son going to uni would affect me in any way financially. Again thankyou for coming back to me I appreciate it. Thank you Welshy66

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.