× Members

Esa support group and 5hr course

More
5 years 1 month ago #230645 by emmarose35
Esa support group and 5hr course was created by emmarose35
Hello
I am currently in the esa support group. I want to do a 5hr a week college course in floristry. I need to find out what could be allowed in the support group. I feel that at this stage the course would be very manageable and would not be demanding of me in the way that the work related activity group could be.
My fear is if I declare it that they would put me into the work related group and my money would be reduced by 50%.
I am in the support group as the nurse wrote extenuating circumstances that going to the job centre would likely have a detrimental effect on my mental health.
Where do I go from here all advice welcome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #230656 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa support group and 5hr course
E

Legally there is nothing to stop you doing the course but you do need to think about whether your doing this will contradict any of the reasons that you are currently in the Support Group, this will be particularly the case if your qualified via the Substantial Risk Regulations as many of the things that you would be doing in your course are things that it has been decided that would present a risk of harm to your or others.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: emmarose35

More
5 years 1 month ago #230664 by emmarose35
Replied by emmarose35 on topic Esa support group and 5hr course
Thanks can you explain a bit further 'legally there is nothing stopping me doing the course...?
If I didn't declare it and got caught my understanding is I'd be fined and need to pay back all monies

More
5 years 1 month ago #230670 by Sarah Martin
Replied by Sarah Martin on topic Esa support group and 5hr course
I agree with Gordon. Quite independently from whether they would ask for or claim the additional payments you are entitled to whilst in the support group of ESA. If you qualify for the support group (as Gordon says) under regulation 29 or 35 you could be transferred to the Work Related Activity Group and hopefully your course would be your WRA. Alternatively you could be found to be fit for work, when your entitlement for ESA would end.

More
5 years 1 month ago #230680 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa support group and 5hr course

Emma jones wrote: Thanks can you explain a bit further 'legally there is nothing stopping me doing the course...?
If I didn't declare it and got caught my understanding is I'd be fined and need to pay back all monies

I meant exactly what I said :) Legally you can do a part-time course and continue to receive your ESA, no fines and no need to pay any money back.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 month ago #230704 by jpg2502
Replied by jpg2502 on topic Esa support group and 5hr course
I know somebody at University and in the ESA Support group so I presume its not an issue...

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.