× Members

Blue Badge Success without enough PIP points.

More
4 years 10 months ago #231019 by LinW13
Hi Everybody, Just a note about my experience.

I got my current blue badge because I was on DLA higher rate. It expired on 22nd April 2019. I did not get enough PIP points last November, but apparently I could carry on using my BB until it ran out. (But I did have to pay road tax for my own car straightaway.)

I thought it would be a waste of effort applying. But my PIP tribunal was unlikely to happen before December 2019 - long wait in Watford apparently. So I had to give it a go as my BB gets used every time I go out.

My local council (Harrow) needs 3 months to process a BB application if you are not automatically eligible. This seems to be average for councils that farm out their assessments. Even for an automatic approval they say to allow 8 weeks. They get the badge printed by an outside company - that adds 2-4 weeks to it all.
Gawd, I remember when you used to get it back in 10 days!

I filled in the council form using my PIP information and evidence. On the morning I was meant to be assessed, the Assessor phoned me up to say that I did not need to come in as I obviously qualified and that she was awarding me my BB immediately. I cried with relief.

She said that she didn't know why the council had referred me when I was clearly eligible. Apparently the council can choose to desk check an application rather than send it for assessment. They have their own points system and if you "pass" you get a BB. I got that snippet from googling blue badge appeals and finding one that spelt it out.

I managed to find out a little bit more about these points. I did a google on "blue-badge good practice review" and found stuff on GOV.UK. Apparently, councils can design their own assessment protocols.

Anyhow, I learned the following.
1. GIVE IT A GO - YOU NOTHING TO LOSE.
2. DON'T BE SHY - PILE ON THE EVIDENCE.

Many thanks to this website for being so encouraging.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, ivyfox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #231046 by dwmullings
Replied by dwmullings on topic Blue Badge Success without enough PIP points.
Tell it like it like it is as they don't know

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.