× Members

ESA to income support?

More
5 years 2 months ago #234255 by Sdoxuk
ESA to income support? was created by Sdoxuk
I’m currently in the ESA support group and 30 weeks pregnant. I’ve just been sent out a new ESA50 form to fill. I seem to be a yearly schedule of filling out forms and then being called to face to face assessments which are obviously very distressing to my ongoing mental health issues. I’m under the guidance of a mental health team that supports pregnant women which severe/longstanding mental health issues.

My query relates to being called for a medical? Am I likely to be called in for a medical after they receive the form? I know there is no way of predicting this but I’m slightly confused about where I stand because as I understand things, beyond a certain point you won’t be called for a face to face... by that point I will be around 34/35 weeks.

I also get severe disability premium with income based esa. If I switched over to income support, am I still eligible to get the severe disability premium component? If it helps I get enhanced daily care for PIP and standard rate mobility.

The mental health issues are long-standing and repeated yearly assessments are really not helping my wellbeing as I’m traumatised and filled with daily dread of yet another form turning up and then being called for assessments again and again. I’m contemplating shifting to IS (with being pregnant) but unsure to how it will impact me financially especially with a baby on the way. I’d be grateful for some advice regarding assessments, whether I still might need to potentially attend an assessment that late in pregnancy or can I get an exemption on medical grounds?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #234298 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA to income support?
SD

The exemptions for the automatic qualification of ESA start on page 11 of ESA Claims due to Physical issues.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Yes, the SD Premium is payable with Income Support

Put your information into one of the online benefit calculators to get an idea of what you would receive with IS.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sdoxuk

More
5 years 2 months ago #234320 by Sdoxuk
Replied by Sdoxuk on topic ESA to income support?
Thank you Gordon.

I’m still unsure about what information you are directing me to? Is this in the ESA guide for form filling, can I please get a direct answer whether being pregnant stops f2f assessments?

How would I qualify for SD Premium with IS? Are there f2f assessments for IS?

By staying on ESA am I subject to constant medical assessments and ESA50 forms annually? I was under the impression they were cutting down on assessments to every 3 years for long standing issues? Can you please guide me?

Thank you

More
5 years 2 months ago #234322 by Gordon
SD

You would not require a face to face if you meet one of the exemption conditions;

(d) you are pregnant and there is a serious risk of damage to your health or to the health of
your unborn child if you do not refrain from work
(e) you are pregnant and within the maternity allowance period and entitled to maternity
allowance
(f) you are pregnant and within either six weeks of giving birth or have given birth in the last
two weeks and you are not entitled to maternity allowance or statutory maternity pay.

You don't need to re-qualify for the SD Premium, the criteria is the same as for ESA.

There are no assessments for IS.

If you stay on ESA then you are subject to regular reassessment unless you are exempted but you have not mentioned any condition that would allow this to happen, assessment for claimants in the SG can be anytime from three months to three years.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #234486 by Sdoxuk
Replied by Sdoxuk on topic ESA to income support?
Thank you Gordon! This was very helpful.

Would switching to income support means starting a new claim? Are there any disadvantages moving from ESA to
IS? Would you please be able to provide any further information?

Thank you

More
5 years 2 months ago #234560 by Gordon
SD

Yes, you would need to close your ESA claim and make a new claim for Income Support on the basis that you are in receipt of the Severe Disability Premium.

You should check what you would be paid as you would lose the Enhanced Disability Premium which is paid because you are in the Support Group

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Apart from how much you would receive, I can't see any short term problems with you switching to IS but be aware that it is only available if you are a lone parent. There's more information on

www.gov.uk/income-support

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.