× Members

Carers allowance and severe dis premiums

More
4 years 10 months ago #235003 by capainFAIRY
Carers allowance and severe dis premiums was created by capainFAIRY
Good morning,
I live with my sister in her owned house, she is my carer of over 35+ hours per week but she has never claimed carers allowance. Can you confirm something I was told yesterday - that I should be in receipt of 'severe' disability premium' as part of my ESA payments. I received a letter a couple of years back and it did state that in the calc but I went to CAB and the guy told me not to accept that as I did not live alone and they would claw it back, I contacted the dwp and they immediately recalculated my claim and that sdp had disappeared. Is what I was told yesterday incorrect do you think, I dont think I should receive sdp because Im although I am on high rate pip and the fact that I already receive a Disability income guarantee and an amount because I am in support group. I hope this makes sense??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #235010 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carers allowance and severe dis premiums
capainFAIRY

One of the requirements for receiving the SD Premium is that you need to live alone or are considered to be living alone.

You obviously don't live alone, to be considered as living alone your sister would need to be receiving a qualifying benefit as well such as PIP Daily Living, DLA MRC or HRC (there are others).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

More
4 years 10 months ago #235020 by capainFAIRY
Replied by capainFAIRY on topic Carers allowance and severe dis premiums
I knew in the back of my brain this came up before because they the DWp told me I would get it and the legal guy from CAB said NO NO NO do not accept that as you dont live alone and would end up paying back a heap of money. This time the CAB dif person has got it wrong and told me I should receive it! Thank you my expert Gordon once again you have helped me. x

More
4 years 10 months ago #235028 by Kab
As you live with your sister and she cares for you and you get enhanced rate PIP you should check to see given your situation if she can make a claim for carers allowance for herself, if she works she can care and still earn earn £123 per week. If she applies she could claim 3 months back from date of claim if she has cared for you during this period.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.