× Members

what about the things I shouldn't do?

More
5 years 1 month ago #237359 by esmith
I've a friend with severe AMD which means she only has a tiny bit of peripheral vision left, I get blackouts with no warning. Obviously we've both surrendered our driving licences but we both cycle and walk locally. She has crashed into a few poles, I've blacked out but always fall to the left, rather than into the traffic. Public transport is rubbish here, and when I blacked out on a bus I was told that "people like you shouldn't be let out alone" and when it happened in a taxi "I'm not running a private ambulance service". So if I'm at f2f and get asked how I get to the doctor or dentist what do I say? I'm not going to lie, do I say I cycle and list all the risks? Wear a short-sleeved t-shirt so I can point out the scar from the elbow surgery from one cycle trip gone wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #237363 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic what about the things I shouldn't do?
HI Elizabeth

My only advice is to be open and honest and explain fully how your condition affects you and how you try to cope with your condition.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid