× Members

Mandatory Reconsideration Decision - 4 mths later

• wilderness45angel
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #248502 by wilderness45angel
Mandatory Reconsideration Decision - 4 mths later was created by wilderness45angel
Hello everyone :)

I posted on the Forum on behalf of my wife over 4 months ago. She had been through a Face to Face PIP Assessment at home in 2019, and had lost her Care / Daily Living component as a result of the report from the Capita assessor, who allocated only 6 points for this, which was upsetting and totally incorrect.Previously on DLA , my wife had been awarded the lower rate of care indefinitely, along with the top tier of Mobility indefinitely..

We agonised as to whether to request a Mandatory Reconsideration , as the assessor had awarded the top tier of Mobility on the PIP award , which we did not want to lose. However my wife's ongoing conditions and new diagnosis which were also under medical investigation, prompted us to try for the MR.

We read all the wonderful advice here at Benefits and Work and submitted a letter in January 2020, including many case examples of how my wife is affected in her everyday life, and we also sent again all the evidence that we had provided for the initial PIP application. We both had felt that it had not been taken into account,despite the assessor stating that he had seen it, but did not make eye contact with me when he replied.

Over 4 months had passed since the Mandatory Reconsideration request was sent to DWP.
Then, as coronavirus began dominating every aspect of life, we decided that we probably would not ever hear anything about our request.
But last Thursday, a letter arrived in the mail from DWP which my wife was too scared to open. We opened it together and were stunned at the wonderful news:

The DWP had overturned the decision not to award the daily living component, and the points awarded had increased from 6 to 30, placing my wife in the upper tier for Daily Living!

The Mobility award had thankfully remained the same - with 20 points
Both awards were for an ongoing period.My wife cried for hours with utter relief, and it still has not sunk in for either of us that for the foreseeable future, this long stressful battle is hopefully over.
We would like to personally thank Benefits and Work for the help and support your members only guides provide to claimants.There were so many things that we had not thought about, which were described in your guidance.Reading the guides and applying them to my wife's situation made all the difference for certain.

Thank you so much and we hope that many other people can share the same outcome at mandatory reconsideration stage..

Kind Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #248514 by Gordon
wilderness45angel

That's terrific news, well done to both of you.

Gordon

Tags: @RESULT @PIP @MR

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.