× Members

ESA change of circumstance

More
4 years 1 month ago #249808 by organic
ESA change of circumstance was created by organic
Hello,

I am currently in receipt of contribution based ESA (assessment phase rate). I submitted my ESA50 in March. I am waiting for a WCA.

My wife and I have recently separated, but are still living together in our family home. We intend to get divorced. We have a son.

Do I need to report a change of circumstance? If so to who? Or can it wait until the WCA?

Once I get my decision I intend to move out and rent. We currently have a joint mortgage. My wife intends to remortgage our home and buy out my share.

When I do move out will reporting a change of circumstance trigger a claim for Universal Credit?

Thanks.

Organic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #249827 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA change of circumstance
Hi organic

At this moment in time you do not have to do anything as you are in receipt of contribution ESA, ESA(CB) is claimed by the claimant only, so there will be no impact on your ESA claims if you move out, you only need to report a change of address when you move out to the DWP

You would only need to apply for UC if you need to apply for help with your rent, (housing element) www.gov.uk/housing-and-universal-credit.

As long as you are only receiving Contribution Based ESA and no Income Related payments such as UC or HB then your savings and assets will not have any effect on your ESA(CB).

If you are receiving any means tested benefits such as UC, HB then if the payment will take you above the £6000 limit, there may be deductions from your means tested benefits. If as a result of the payment your total savings and assets exceed £16.000 then your means tested benefits will stop. www.gov.uk/housing-benefit.

You can see what you might receive by putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators. www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 1 month ago #249917 by organic
Replied by organic on topic ESA change of circumstance
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Will reporting a change of address for my ESA(CB) claim to the DWP after I move out trigger a claim for Universal Credit?

If I do decide to claim Universal Credit to help with my housing costs will my existing ESA(CB) claim be transferred over to Universal Credit and come to an end?

Thanks.

organic

More
4 years 1 month ago #249926 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA change of circumstance
organic

I assume you are claiming New Style ESA, this will not be converted to UC.

If you need to claim Housing Benefit then this is only available through UC, you would claim this in addition to your NS ESA which will be treated as Other Income for UC and deducted from the UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 11 months ago #250879 by organic
Replied by organic on topic ESA change of circumstance
Hello,

I have been in receipt of contribution based New Style ESA (assessment phase rate) since January 2020. I submitted my ESA50 in March. I am waiting for a WCA.

When does my 365 days entitlement to contribution based New Style ESA come to an end?

Thanks.

More
3 years 11 months ago #250905 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA change of circumstance
organic

It will be 365 days from the day that your claim started. this will be either the day you backdated your claim to or the day that you made your claim.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.