× Members

PIP telephone assessment, using form for reference

More
3 years 2 months ago #261181 by Lorraine
Hello,

Trying to get daughter prepared for her first one this Tuesday.

We have seen that if you are using your PIP2 form or other notes to help you answer questions, tell the assessor this and make it clear you are not relying on memory for all of your answers.

But she says she not comfortable with this, as surely she knows her own conditions and how they effect her daily. Would it not come across as odd that you needs to read what you wrote?

Any advice very welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #261184 by BIS
Hi Lorraine

Obviously, it's up to your daughter what she does, but she needs to understand that the stress of being questioned by a complete stranger can be unnerving even when you do know your own difficulties. It isn't about knowledge, it is about the impact of symptoms on the specific PIP criteria. It is very easy to be caught out by an assessor. They may say "You wrote on your form blah, blah, blah..." and then the claimant gives a slightly different answer. Assessors expect people to look at what they said. Often there is a long gap between filling in the form and the assessment. It's unreasonable to expect everyone to remember what they said.

As I said, your daughter should do what feels right for her, but to wanting to scare her - assessors don't always treat claimants kindly - and they should use whatever they have on their side to hold their own.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lorraine

More
3 years 2 months ago #261189 by Gary
Hi Lorraine

If you have a look at our PIP guide at the link below you will see that there are 9 pages which include advice on telephone assessments. Yes, a lot of the questions are those that would have been asked if you had a face to face assessment.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants

- get your daughter to write herself a bullet point list of any particular points she wants to get over, so she has it by her during the assessment, tick them as she cover them during the assessment.
- have paper and pens to hand to make any notes such as the assessors name, date, time
- make sure she is seated in a comfortable chair, she is going to be there a while and at table to make notes
- if she can't hear or understand what is being asked then ask them to repeat the question
- don't forget to have a glass of water if needed so she don't get a dry throat and lose her voice!

Don't forget to contact DWP 48 hours after the assessment and ask for a copy of the assessors report called PA4.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lorraine

More
3 years 2 months ago #261226 by Lorraine
Thank you.

So taking time to look at your answers before answering is ok?

She thought it would seem off if she had to check, but she had lots of help filling in the form.

So she can state to the assessor that she is double checking as the form was done in January with lots of help and she had got worse since then?

More
3 years 2 months ago #261233 by Gary
Hi Lorraine

You have to be careful as the assessor may think she is reading off script. Your daughter needs to be open and honest and say how her condition affects her at that moment in time, it does not matter if her condition has deteriorated, if it was at a Tribunal then it would matter as the questioning would be on the day of the assessment how was your daughters condition.

Some assessors will ask very leading questions, if your daughter cannot do a task then say so, remember there are no grey areas, it is only black or white answers ... not 'sometimes' as these answers usually go against the claimant, the assessors will say in their assessment in my opinion ......

Good luck, follow my previous post and let us know how your daughter gets on.

Gary

More
3 years 2 months ago #261251 by MrFibro
Hi Gary,

If you have los of cous, and memory issues, and on the day of your PIP assessment you pretty much fogged out and can't really think. Surely rather than say i cant remember, it would be better to say on the lines of... due to my laspe in memory , focus concentration etc, i'm having to rely on my filled out form.

Otherwise you've lost before you even start.
regards.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.