× Members

My PIP Telephone Assessment Today

More
1 year 10 months ago #270101 by UC:
I was awarded DLA for Life in the mid 1990’s (Higher rate Mobility Component only – at the time I did not claim for Daily Living/Care Component.

I advised the DWP of a change in my condition in January 2022 and completed the PIP form, using the online version. This was submitted on 02 February 2022.

I was able to scan in and upload several Consultant Reports, many confirming formal medical diagnosis, to support my claim from DLA to PIP.

My PIP telephone assessment was arranged for today, Monday 09 May at 09.00.

I received a call from the male Assessor at 08.55, advising me that the DWP system used by Assessors was ‘down’ across the whole of the UK and that DWP were treating this as priority to get it up and running again. He advised that he needed to access 25 documents associated with my claim (most of which I assumed were the ones that I scanned in and uploaded electronically).

He further advised that he would call me back at 10.00, or earlier, to undertake my assessment.

I received his call at 09.40. He advised that he still did not have access to my documents, but, to reduce any additional stress to me, he would go through the assessment with me and submit the report to DWP.

The male assessor sounded young, was quite friendly and he focused quite heavily on how my disability affects my daily living.

He did not appear to follow any linear or logical pathway through the assessment in line with the PIP application form, but maybe that is an unrealistic expectation/assumption of my own…..

So, a comprehensive assessment of the impact of my disability on daily living and also a comprehensive assessment of the ‘Planning and Following a Journey’ of the Mobility component of PIP.

During the Assessment, the call ‘dropped’ twice, but, to his credit, he called me back immediately. My Assessment concluded at 11.50. Two hours and ten minutes!

In his conclusion, the Assessor advised that he had collected a great deal of evidence from me, that he would present to a Case Manager at DWP, for them to make a decision.

He advised that, if he had missed anything, that he would call me back if need be. He hasn’t. Yet!

He stated that, as an Independent Assessor, he does not get to know of the outcome of a PIP claim. Is this correct?

What I was surprised by was a rather sparse line of questioning relating to ‘Moving Around’. However, upon reflection, there were aspects of his questioning re daily living and planning a journey that might have provided enough evidence? Not sure.

I am only too well aware, from my own experience, and my experience of helping others with their PIP claims, that this process is deliberately loaded against applicants, via the lengthy application forms and subsequent assessments.

Thanks to this organisation, I felt adequately prepared due to the wealth of guidance and advice that is provided here.

I am expecting to receive the enhanced rate for both Daily Living and Mobility. We shall see…..

I have shared my experience in the hope that it may help others.

Please feel free to respond with your own observations in relation to my experience today.

Good luck to everyone on this journey!
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse, denby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270103 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic My PIP Telephone Assessment Today
Hi UC: Universal Compassion!

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback. It's always useful for other members to hear about others' experiences.

It is true that the assessor did not know the outcome of your PIP assessment. He would score each question (but he might not have done that on the call). Your form is then forwarded to the "Decision-Maker' who is responsible for your award.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 10 months ago #270113 by UC:
Replied by UC: on topic My PIP Telephone Assessment Today
Thank you BIS!
Just a waiting game now!
Will share the outcome when I receive it!

More
1 year 10 months ago #270138 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic My PIP Telephone Assessment Today

Don't forget to contact DWP and ask for a copy of the assessors report called a PA4, 48 hrs after the assessment.

Fingers crossed it all goes well for you.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 10 months ago #270142 by UC:
Replied by UC: on topic My PIP Telephone Assessment Today
Thanks Gary!
I thought that such a request was submitted only if you wished to request a Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision?

Is it appropriate to request one as standard practice anyway?

Still learning......

More
1 year 10 months ago #270144 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic My PIP Telephone Assessment Today

The answer to your question is yes, always ask for a copy of the assessors report, if only for your record.

For PIP you can request a copy within 48hr of the assessment. (PA4)

For WCA assessment you have to wait until a decision has been made (UC85/ESA85)

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.