× Members

PIP Face to Face Consultation

More
1 year 10 months ago #271034 by Paul1000
PIP Face to Face Consultation was created by Paul1000
My partner suffered a traumatic brain injury in early 2021 and was finally discharged after spending over a year in hospital. Leaving her with a variety of issues – higher cognitive impairment, mental and physical fatigue, and mobility issues.

She has been placed in the ESA support group and has her claim for NHS Pension ill health benefits accepted.

As part of her PIP application, she has been asked to attend a face to face ‘consultation’ even though the same medical reports have been deemed enough to qualify for the ESA support group and her NHS pension.

I will be accompanying her as her full-time carer and she cannot travel anywhere on her own. Given that she will struggle to answer their questions my view is that I should not answer on her behalf to demonstrate her current level of abilities.

I am interested in people’s views on how to handle this situation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #271041 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Face to Face Consultation
Hi Paul1000

It is entirely up to you, but I would appeal the face to face consultation especially if it is going to cause your partner added trauma. I clearly don't know the severity of her condition and I am not an assessor, but faced with a similar position I would be objecting. You can do this immediately and explain why - and I would include she has been put in the ESA support group. If they still insist on a face to face assessment, you can still appeal a second time. If you can get a letter from your doctor - do so arguing that it would be causing overwhelming psychological distress plus whatever physical difficulties. Even if you can't I would still fight it.

If you feel that you both want to go, I hope that you have insisted on the assessment being recorded. This is an absolute must. Just remember the person you will be seeing although a medical professional there is a chance they will have little knowledge of your partner's condition and you will want a record of what is said.

Should you answer the questions. The assessor needs to see her difficulties, but I think only you can judge the amount of stress that it will cause your partner. Before the assessment starts the assessor should make clear that you are allowed to speak - when necessary. If they don't you should politely mention it to them.

I really hope if you decide to go - then your partner has a good assessment.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul1000

More
1 year 10 months ago #271066 by Paul1000
Replied by Paul1000 on topic PIP Face to Face Consultation
Thanks BIS I will ask them to reconsider re the face to face

More
1 year 10 months ago #271069 by Paul1000
Thanks again BIS, I have spoken to IAS this morning and they agreed to change the assessment to a telephone based one, which has eased the pressure of having to undertake a tiring and stressful face to face assessment.

More
1 year 10 months ago #271070 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Face to Face Consultation
Hi Paul1000

I am so relieved to hear that. Much better for you and your partner. If you haven't asked for it to be recorded - do so. Even if they agree to record - don't forget to make a covert recording. Just remember that the assessor cannot see your partner and some assessors are notorious for saying someone has had no difficulty in speaking even when they have been breathless and had to keep stopping.

Hope it goes well for both of you

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 10 months ago #271074 by Paul1000
Thanks for the additional tip BIS I will make sure we male are own recording. Kin regards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.