× Members

PIP and Sheltered Housing

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284496 by justme
PIP and Sheltered Housing was created by justme
I live alone in a one bedroom flat and I've been offered a flat in sheltered housing from a different council to my own.
My intention is to live nearer my family as I do not have any family or friends near me where I live now. I applied to the other council quite a while back and I've just received an offer of a flat in sheltered housing near my family.

I receive state pension and I also receive PIP standard daily living and enhanced mobility.
Will moving into sheltered housing with another council affect my PIP?

The weekly rent is a little higher to where I am living now. There are extra payments to pay such as warden service charge, management service charge and city wide alarm charge which I know I will have to pay separate from the rent.
But how will my housing rent/council tax benefits be affected going to a different council?
TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284509 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP and Sheltered Housing
J

As long as the Local Authority is not paying directly for your accommodation then you should be OK, Housing Benefit is not classed there doing so.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: justme

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284520 by justme
Replied by justme on topic PIP and Sheltered Housing
Thank you Gordon for your quick reply, I really appreciate it.
My other concern is will moving into sheltered housing affect my PIP daily living.
In the past I have heard of some instances where the DWP have classed sheltered housing in the same category as a care home even though there are great differences, and the daily living part of PIP had been taken away from people that had moved into sheltered housing.
I just wanted to know if that's the case or not, and to know what to expect

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284528 by justme
Replied by justme on topic PIP and Sheltered Housing
Thank you Gordon for your quick reply

I have read somewhere that the DWP has sometimes mistaken sheltered housing with care homes

I was wondering if I would lose my daily living part of my PIP if I moved into sheltered housing ?

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284539 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP and Sheltered Housing
Hi juststu

I find the term sheltered housing quite deceptive as it covers a wide range. I prefer the term independant living supported accomodation. Moving into sheltered accomodation will not affect your PIP.

Certain types of supported accomodation will be affected by Universal Credit if you move local authority, if you require a care plan then you may be exempt.

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation, they will be able to give you accurate advice; advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284540 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP and Sheltered Housing
Hi juststu

I often help clients who live in sheltered accomodation claim PIP, but it would depend on what type of sheltered accommodation you are moving into.

I have answered your previous post on this subject; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/kunena/10-dla-...tered-housing#284539

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid