× Members

Uc claim

More
11 months 1 week ago #284678 by Lou
Uc claim was created by Lou
I'm trying to fill in the form for my son. He's 19 and autistic. The question under physical functions about communicating, obviously he struggles with this badly. Do I put this here or is it more if your deaf, no speech etc??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #284684 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Uc claim
L

There are two Communicating activities in the physical section.

The first deals with the claimant providing information to another person, typically those assessing the claim will be looking at the claimant's abilities in speaking, writing, typing, or other means which are normally, or could reasonably be, used, unaided by another person.

The second looks at the claimant's ability to receive information verbally, by lip reading, 16-point print or braille.

I've checked a variety of DWP documents and can't find a definitive view as to whether ASD is considered a physical issue or not, you will certainly need to argue that it is. What I can say is that neither is about social interaction but specifically sensory impairment.

Also, stick to the legal definitions, what is being assessed; simple versus complex information. If you don't think these activities apply to your son then it is usually best not to try claiming them as it can devalue your whole testimony.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid