× Members

Old style ESA Telephone Interview

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285180 by Matt
Old style ESA Telephone Interview was created by Matt
Hi,
I've recently started the ordeal in September of going through the ESA50 process after my last contact with DWP and ESA 10 years ago (they basially have left me alone, I was first diagnosed in 2005). I suffer from highly variable CFS/ME as well as IBS and mental health health including anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts. These are all documented and the doctor received the ESA113 10 days ago.
The ESA process has exasperated all of these conditions and after receiving today a letter regarding a telephone interview (thankfully not one in person) I am at my wits end and completely panicking that I will be unable to cope with the process and become a danger to myself if the decision goes against me and I am no longer able to be placed in the WRAG.

I have printed out my ESA50 for reference and also the questions from page 134 of your ESA document but find the information overwhelming.

What would be the best way to explain to the caller that I am in severe distress, suicidal and utterly struggling with this process?

I dont have much fight left in me. My body and mind have crashed to the point where as a 50+ male I am unemployable and see no future for myself. I have been given links to various Steps2Wellbeing for mental health but unless they can actually help my situation I find they only say 'you'll just have to learn to cope'.

Sorry for the rambling but my mind isnt easy to focus.
TL:DR..What are the simplest most effective ways to answer the interview to express my issues?
Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285197 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Old style ESA Telephone Interview
Hi Matt

I'm sorry that you are struggling with the process. I know it's easy for me to say this, but you should try not to assume an outcome that hasn't happened.

Do you have the support of your GP? If you do, would they be willing to write you a letter saying that a telephone assessment would cause you overwhelming psychological distress and ask for it to be changed to a paper-based assessment?

If you don't have the support of your doctor - you could still ring and ask yourself for the assessment type to change and highlight your suicidal ideation.

If you can't ask or they refuse, and you have to go through with the assessment, you can tell the assessor at the beginning of the assessment how you feel. Some assessors are very sympathetic. You ask what is the best way to explain. There is no best way - just repeat what you have told us here.

If you need extra help now - please make sure that you contact the Samaritans. 116 123 They are available 24hrs a day.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid